Do you name your unsex tortoises?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
When I first went to a vet with my adopted tort for a health check he told me I had a female about 10 years old.
So picked the name Lola.
Turns out she is a he - just like in the Kinks song of the same name,
so the name has stuck.

daniellenc

Maryland
Himher and heshe LOL Heshe says, "What are you looking at?" That plate is 8" in diameter so you can see how much my torts have grown since I got them. Both over 4" now and eating very well.

How old are these guys they're adorable!!

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
Thanks! They are about 8 months old and have such individual personalities. The darker one, Heshe, loves meal worms and peppers; the lighter one, Himher, prefers the wet dog food, grapes and Romaine. Of course, they get their Mazuri and flowers/veggies, but the other stuff is extra. It's been so hot and humid here over the past week. They are in a sun room, and with the door open during the day, the humidity jumps for them. I keep a fogger in the tank anyway, but with the added outdoor humidity, they are loving it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't name mine. If they came with names, I'll keep the name, otherwise they're just 'the bigger leopard,' or 'the one with the scuffed shell,' etc.

Oahu’sHuman

Florida
Hi. I have 5 torts and they’re all of course still unsex :) i already have them for 3 months and still havent given them names because i think it would be weird if i named it a boys name and it turned out she is a girl. So I still keep them unnamed. How about you? :)
Hi! I’m super new, first time answering to a post! When I first got my little Russian tortoise, I thought “he” was a boy so I named “him” Winston. Winston is actually a little girl so I went with the tropical unisex name of Oahu. It suits her so well! I highly recommend unisex names unless you are certain of the gender!

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I named my first two torts Sargent and Yaya because Sargent paced around the enclosure while Yaya was just what I started calling her one day and it stuck. My other one is called Torka which is from a book I was reading when I got him/her.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi! I’m super new, first time answering to a post! When I first got my little Russian tortoise, I thought “he” was a boy so I named “him” Winston. Winston is actually a little girl so I went with the tropical unisex name of Oahu. It suits her so well! I highly recommend unisex names unless you are certain of the gender!
Wecome @Oahu’sHuman from a fellow Floridian

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I do. I pick unisex names. Peanut, Squirt, Chomper, etc.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't name mine. If they came with names, I'll keep the name, otherwise they're just 'the bigger leopard,' or 'the one with the scuffed shell,' etc.
I love those long native american sounding names. It's a great idea. So much potential and so unlimited...imagine "Crooked foot" and "Leaps with Leaves".
I made sure to call mine unisex names, Io and Callisto. Two of Jupiter's moons.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love those long native american sounding names. It's a great idea. So much potential and so unlimited...imagine "Crooked foot" and "Leaps with Leaves".
I made sure to call mine unisex names, Io and Callisto. Two of Jupiter's moons.
Your post made me laugh out loud! Leaps with leaves indeed! LOL!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I actually had the name Murphy picked out before I even got my tortoise. I don't know it just came to me. I've always thought of us as bros, but he definitely could be a she? In which case I'll just call her Miss Murphy...or maybe Murphy Brown?

Destben

Kansas
Mine is Torterra (Pokemon) but I feel it works for either gender

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas

I’m not anti-name. But, also tend to just call them something descriptive. Stripe, black, yellow, big girl... Sometimes kids get involveled and you end up with something like Tigery.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Mine will unfortunately be stuck with their names and I more than likely got it wrong. However I don't think they will be too perturbed about it so I am not going to be Either. Their names are Rue ( can be either) , Kang (can also be either) , Clark (can be either) and Harry ( might need to be short for Harriet . [emoji23] )