Do you own a gun?

Which applies most to you?

• I own one or more firearms. I practice using them regularly.

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • I own one or more firearms, but do not practice using them regularly.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I do NOT own any firearms, but am experienced in using them. I plan to acquire my own firearm soon.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I do NOT own any firearms, but am experienced in using them. I do NOT plan on acquiring my own gun a

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I do NOT own any firearms, and have very little experience using them. I would like to get more expe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do NOT own any firearms, and have very little experience using them. I have no interest in increas

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I have zero experience handling or using any type of firearm, but would like to get more experience

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have zero experience handling or using any type of firearm, and have very little experience using

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
You offer it to the bad guys and they choke on it.
You make it with bad mayo and offer it to the bad guys. This option takes a while to work.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tom said:
Have you not heard the comments from the Japanese admiral about why they did not invade the West Coast of the US after Pearl Harbor, when we were relatively defenseless?

He basically said that they did not invade as they knew it would be suicide since every home had firearms and that all the civilians had marksmanship competitions and knew how to shoot. Paraphrasing here. Don't take my word for it. Look it up. The actual quote is much more compelling than my paraphrasing... Something about "... a rifle behind every blade of grass..."

Your quote (paraphrased or not) isn't attributable to any verifiable source, unless you count message boards and chain emails. The real reason Japan didn't invade probably had more to do with logistics than anything else.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity"

-Abraham Lincoln

Tom said:
On another note, anyone who thinks its "easy" to buy a gun in this country, especially some states like CA, clearly has never done it. It is a huge hassle and expense. There are reams of paperwork, tests, licenses, fees, government background checks, waiting periods, etc... This is not even scratching the surface of what the gun store has to go through to be "allowed" to sell it to you. It is NOT like buying a ham sandwich. There are more than 22,000 gun laws on the books, and the number grows nearly every day.

I could just as easily say that anyone who thinks it is "hard" to buy a gun in this country, especially in some states like TX, clearly has never done it. Fill out some forms, a quick background check, and no waiting period. Or if that isn't easy enough, you can buy from a private seller. Try not to look skeezy, and preferably cash only.

I also believe the 22,000 number is a dated estimate, and applied to federal, state and local laws. There are almost 20,000 municipal and 3,000+ county governments in the United States. Your '22,000 gun laws' doesn't seem so big now. Just imagine if every municipal government had the crazy idea to pass a law that said no discharge of a firearm in the town square. That wouldn't be too unreasonable, would it?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well all I know i that I try to stay out of gun free zones, that is where all of the shootings happen.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I will not allow anyone take away my rights. I am a gun owner. I have a permit. Which is no longer needed. It is my right to carry a gun. Here in Arizona there are so many home invasions. I feel sorry for the person who ever tries this in my home, cause if my doberman doesn't get to them, one of my many pistols hidden all over my home will....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Note to self stay out of mainey34's house, at least without an invite.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
My dad died when I was 3. So when I turned 14 my grandpa gave me 2 12 ga shot guns that were my dads. 1 is a double barrel and the other is a single barrel. I would love to get me a couple hand guns in the future though. He use to take me to a shooting range in Muncie to shoot his collection of hand guns. That was always a lot of fun for grandpa and I. Miss the good ole days... :(

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am jealous. I want a double barrel shotgun. I have this love of shotguns and even though my tactical classes said they aren't good home defense in my mind I think they'd give me an advantage.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
mainey34 said:
I will not allow anyone take away my rights. I am a gun owner. I have a permit. Which is no longer needed. It is my right to carry a gun. Here in Arizona there are so many home invasions. I feel sorry for the person who ever tries this in my home, cause if my doberman doesn't get to them, one of my many pistols hidden all over my home will....

We have several guns around too. I have my Boxer to let me know if someone is around and a gun to take care of it!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
All of mine are for hunting. Guns are kept in a locked safe, ammunition is in a separate location and also locked via a different key.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Kerryann said:
I am jealous. I want a double barrel shotgun. I have this love of shotguns and even though my tactical classes said they aren't good home defense in my mind I think they'd give me an advantage.

Prefer side-by-sides, myself, but for home security, a pump 12 is pretty handy...that ratchet sound is easily identifiable. ;)

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
I am more than passionate about this issue! Gun laws are only effective against law abiding citizens. Criminals by nature could care less about the gun laws.

People have been hating and killing people on mass scales through out history WAY before guns were invented. so outlawing guns means you get stabbed with a knife.

There should be no hindering a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN from lawfully keeping and bearing arms. the whole reason its in the constitution is so that the government respects the people it serves.

Its all about freedom, Since guns are in the world and will never go away, its important that people of character protect there families and the lives of others.

Remember this. When Seconds count, Cops are just minutes away. its not a cops job to predict violence, only catch the guys after the violence happens. which means you'd better hope there is enough time for a cop to catch the guy while attacking you and you still have breath in your lungs.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
This post sort of deals with two threads in this subsection. The other morning I was getting ready for work and I heard some banging that sounded like it was coming from downstairs. I went out in the hall and couldnt hear it but I could hear it in my bathroom. I realized then my hub had all of the guns locked in the safe and I had no idea where the key was hidden. We had kids in the house so he had secured it all up a bit too well. Luckily it was just something banging in our mechanical chase (maybe a ghost.. maybe a pipe or heat duct).. I have no idea what that is but it's this space behind our bathroom that runs to the basement. It reinforced I need more time with our 1911 and I need to always know where the keys to the safe are.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Kerryann said:
This post sort of deals with two threads in this subsection. The other morning I was getting ready for work and I heard some banging that sounded like it was coming from downstairs. I went out in the hall and couldnt hear it but I could hear it in my bathroom. I realized then my hub had all of the guns locked in the safe and I had no idea where the key was hidden. We had kids in the house so he had secured it all up a bit too well. Luckily it was just something banging in our mechanical chase (maybe a ghost.. maybe a pipe or heat duct).. I have no idea what that is but it's this space behind our bathroom that runs to the basement. It reinforced I need more time with our 1911 and I need to always know where the keys to the safe are.

My husband is a police officer so we have his duty weapons that are "up" but not "locked up". He can get called out at any our and doesn't have time to go getting keys and stuff. However, we do lock up our personal gun..it stays loaded though. When my husband is gone over night or out of town for long periods for work and has his duty weapons with him I make him unlock the safe...it's up high enough and our kids are older now.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed~

Here is one of my favorites! :D
arfin.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.