Do you soak your baby tortoises everyday? If yes, how long?

Lifeoftorto

Location (City and/or State)
INA
IMG_1616.jpgIMG_1526.jpg

I have 4 baby torts. 2 sulcata, a cherry head and a pardalis pardalis. Theyre still around 3 inch. Should i soak them every morning and for how long? I usually soak them once in 2 days for about 10 mins under the basking lamp. Am i doing it right? Thanks in advance :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also the hay/straw they are on needs too go. They need a closed chamber, each species having their own and kept hot and humid, for the sulcatas and leopard. The RF needs high humidity also but different temps and lighting.
Please read the caresheets. Things need changing asap

Lifeoftorto

INA
Also the hay/straw they are on needs too go. They need a closed chamber, each species having their own and kept hot and humid, for the sulcatas and leopard. The RF needs high humidity also but different temps and lighting.

Thank you :) the red one doesnt live with the sulcatas :) only put them together while they soak or eat sometimes :) im thinking about changing them to cocopeat. Is that ok?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you :) the red one doesnt live with the sulcatas :) only put them together while they soak or eat sometimes :) im thinking about changing them to cocopeat. Is that ok?

Different species should never, ever be together. That’s a huge risk of disease.
Please give these a read and make changes ASAP.
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Redfoot tortoise care sheet- http://aminoapps.com/p/m9tcj0
Your Sulcatas also need to be separated. Tortoises can not be kept in pairs. They are solitary animals, and in pairs, there is always a dominant and a subordinate. It is very stressful for both.

Last edited:

Lifeoftorto

INA
Different species should never, ever be together. That’s a huge risk of disease.
Please give these a read and make changes ASAP.
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Redfoot tortoise care sheet- http://aminoapps.com/p/m9tcj0
Your Sulcatas also need to be separated. Tortoises can not be kept in pairs. They are solitary animals, and in pairs, there is always a dominant and a subordinate. It is very stressful for both.

Thanks for the info :) I will change the enclosure asap.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Soaking together is really bad. They pee and poop in the soak water. They should never be together. In fact most people will wash their hands before even touching another species. They shouldn't share food dishes either.
Coconut coir is my favorite and I use peat moss. I don't really know what cocopeat is.

Lifeoftorto

INA
Soaking together is really bad. They pee and poop in the soak water. They should never be together. In fact most people will wash their hands before even touching another species. They shouldn't share food dishes either.
Coconut coir is my favorite and I use peat moss. I don't really know what cocopeat is.

It’s the same thing I guess.. i have googled it

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Do you keep them in hay? I don't know about the other 2 tortoise, but people on this forum helped me out a lot with my sulcatas. I have two 3month old Sulcatas. They thought me about closed chambers and humidity.

This substrate Im using now is repti bark, coco fiber, and organic soil with no chemicals. I bought repti bark on accident, I trying to get something else, ended up giving it a try.

I keep the humidity at 80, see how dirt looks dry? But if they dig, it's nice and humid. I give them 3 inches of soil and they use every bit lol. Always dirty from them digging little holes to hang out n sleep lol. I forgot to mention I spray down daily, and and turn and mix the soils twice a week to let it breath. I don't think you gotta mix but I do. It lets soil breath and they not walking on pee or unseen poop
20180525_131811.jpg20180517_144501.jpg20180519_184730.jpg20180525_180107.jpg20180518_165337.jpg

Last edited:

Lifeoftorto

INA
Do you keep them in hay? I don't know about the other 2 tortoise, but people on this forum helped me out a lot with my sulcatas. I have two 3month old Sulcatas. They thought me about closed chambers and humidity.

This substrate Im using now is repti bark, coco fiber, and organic soil with no chemicals. I bought repti bark on accident, I trying to get something else, ended up giving it a try.

I keep the humidity at 80, see how dirt looks dry? But if they dig, it's nice and humid. I give them 3 inches of soil and they use every bit lol. Always dirty from them digging little holes to hang out n sleep lol. I forgot to mention I spray down daily, and and turn and mix the soils twice a week to let it breath. I don't think you gotta mix but I do. It lets soil breath and they not walking on pee or unseen poop
View attachment 239823View attachment 239825View attachment 239827View attachment 239828View attachment 239832

I feel bad :( and Im going to change the substrate and enclosure real soon. I will use the coconut noir, i have ordered it :) I also spray the enclosure a few times daily. Im currently using wood pellet and a little bit of timothy hay.

Lifeoftorto

INA

View attachment 239823View attachment 239825View attachment 239827View attachment 239828View attachment 239832

Do your sulcatas live together?

Lifeoftorto

INA
I feel bad :( and Im going to change the substrate and enclosure real soon. I will use the coconut noir, i have ordered it :) I also spray the enclosure a few times daily. Im currently using wood pellet and a little bit of timothy hay.

I mean coir. Typo [emoji23]

JanelP

Idaho
Its alot of information. Dont feel bad. Youre not the first. We have all been there. There is alot of conflicting information out there. Trust people who have been raise tortoises for a long time and their stock looks good. @Tom has helped me tremendously. read those care sheets, search the forums for questions, and feel free to ask for help. Sometimes they come off strong but they really do just want to help.

JanelP

Idaho
Oh and by the way. Youre babies are beautiful. I love the red foot. stunning colors there.

Lifeoftorto

INA
Its alot of information. Dont feel bad. Youre not the first. We have all been there. There is alot of conflicting information out there. Trust people who have been raise tortoises for a long time and their stock looks good. @Tom has helped me tremendously. read those care sheets, search the forums for questions, and feel free to ask for help. Sometimes they come off strong but they really do just want to help.

Thank you :) they definitely helped me a lot too :) I have ordered everything and cant wait to reset the enclosure :)

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Do your sulcatas live together?
I keep them separated, one was growing way more than the other. It was bullying the little one. Im sure people on here can tell you better than i can, why sulcatas shouldn't be kept in pairs. I used to keep them together, after i seppereated them, within 3 weeks, the little one caught up in size. The little one is actually bigger now lol. I only bathe them and give them sun time together. Ps if you use a little enclosure like this for them to get sun outside be careful becuase you can fry and kill them really quick. Lucky i was warned about that the very first day I built this little enclosure. 20180518_163124.jpg20180518_172027.jpg20180515_131145.jpg

Lifeoftorto

INA
I keep them separated, one was growing way more than the other. It was bullying the little one. Im sure people on here can tell you better than i can, why sulcatas shouldn't be kept in pairs. I used to keep them together, after i seppereated them, within 3 weeks, the little one caught up in size. The little one is actually bigger now lol. I only bathe them and give them sun time together. Ps if you use a little enclosure like this for them to get sun outside be careful becuase you can fry and kill them really quick. Lucky i was warned about that the very first day I built this little enclosure. View attachment 239839View attachment 239840View attachment 239841

Thats good to hear that :) I moved my smaller sulcata to a “special” place to eat too since last week because He eats less than the other one and he also gained more weights than he gained before. I weight them weekly. Probably the bigger one bullies the smaller one ‍♀️

Lifeoftorto

INA
Hi The substrate just arrived and im currently resetting all the enclosure. Here’s the update :) every torts have their own water and food dish. But i currently took them out because they have finished eating and all of the water is dirty because of the coconut coil.. they kinda just stepped on the water dish after roaming around the enclosure. oh ya, i got a new question. My RF keeps eating the coconut coir. Is that okay? Or should i change the substrate? Thanks in advance :) IMG_1656.jpg IMG_1657.jpgIMG_1658.jpgIMG_1659.jpgIMG_1660.jpg