do you think its ok to change your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
Ok so I have always felt like my name never fit my personality. My name I was born with was Rebecca I love middle name, M. It's just the letter M. I would like to change my name to either Emme pronounced em, or just the letter M. What do you guys think?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see nothing wrong with it.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
emysemys said:
I see nothing wrong with it.

Well the things I think about are how do I get people to call me something different after so long.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You just have to ask them. "I've decided that being called "Beckie" doesn't fit anymore. Would you please call me "EM"? Thanks."

Some of your close friends may tease you about it at first, but I'm sure they'll all come around eventually.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
emysemys said:
You just have to ask them. "I've decided that being called "Beckie" doesn't fit anymore. Would you please call me "EM"? Thanks."

Some of your close friends may tease you about it at first, but I'm sure they'll all come around eventually.

That makes sense, thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I won't take as long as you think. Just start telling them your new name and with gentle reminders they will slowly start changing. As more (and all the new folks you meet), change to the new version it will also reinforce others to use the new name. Just do not expect all your immediate family to change over. My daughter who always had gone by Erin, back in JR high decided to have her friends call her by Beans. That is still what she goes by today with nonfamily members. Erin is her real middle name. My older son, had made his computer name Ron Chee and he carried that over to school and school friends. He even used that as his name on his school work he handed in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Plus, once people realize that M is your middle name, I'm sure it will make it easier for them to change.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My son changed his online name to Bjorn several years ago, and my daughter changed hers to Tinka. It drove our older family members nuts, but they've adjusted. If you simply want to be called by a different name, that's easily done. A legal name change is not only more difficult, but also more painful for your relatives.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
All the new people you meet will call you by your new name. Family members will most probably call you what they always have.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
Thank you everyone for the comments. I really appreciate your help on the situation. And I'd like to be called Emme from now on!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Kolorbl1nd said:
Thank you everyone for the comments. I really appreciate your help on the situation. And I'd like to be called Emme from now on!

You know, if you ask the mods to change your username on here to Emme, they'll do it:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another way to look at it, since your middle name is "M", you're not really CHANGING your name, you're just changing what people call you.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My mother in law is Elizabeth and always went by Betty. When she was 63 she decided she didn't want to be known as Betty anymore. She began asking everyone to call her Elizabeth and now it sticks.

I say do it :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
All my life growing up my family and friends called me Tee. Then in High School, everyone called me Terry, and I would sign cards and letters...Terry. Then I got married and my Father-in-law started calling me Tess, because of my wild curley hair...Tess of the Storm Country...so some people call me Tee, some call me Terry, and some call me Tess. I usually go by Terry. Do what ever YOU want. It's your name, after all.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I changed my name! Went by "Katie" short for Katherine for the vast majority of my life so far, and a few years back I decided to switch to my middle name, Alexis. A lot of close friends and family will be awful to you about it, but if you are persistent, they will adjust. I would say I am called Alexis by everyone (all family and friends included) about 90% of the time now.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Kolorbl1nd said:
Ok so I have always felt like my name never fit my personality. My name I was born with was Rebecca I love middle name, M. It's just the letter M. I would like to change my name to either Emme pronounced em, or just the letter M. What do you guys think?

If it makes you happy, why not? Emme is a nice name. :cool:

I was born Terrence Aloyicious, btw :rolleyes:...a week after my 18th b'day I had it legally changed and have been well pleased ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.