Do Your Young Sulcatas Hiss Randomly?

Tank & Scooter

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I have two 6 month old sulctas, I know they learned or started to hiss around 4 months old. When I would reach for them, they would hiss at my hand at 4 months. Since then they are totally calm and they even let me hand feed and do head rubs.

Recently in the last couple days, I've heard one hiss randomly, once when he was walking by himself. And right now I'm observing them eat, and hes hissing randomly every min or so. Sometimes every 20 seconds. It sounds like hes trying to clear his throat or even weezing.

IS THAT NORMAL AND WHAT CAN I LOOK FOR TO SEE IF ITS SICK. ALSO NO CHANCE OF COLD, ITS BEEN 95 DEGREES EVERYDAY ENTIRE LAST MONTH. NIGHT TEMPS ARE EVEN IN THE 80S

20180810_114338.jpeg20180731_085728.jpeg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
The only hiss I hear is when my sulcata pulls his head in quickly, which he does when he is scared. Although he isn't young; he is 19 years old.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
The only hiss I hear is when my sulcata pulls his head in quickly, which he does when he is scared. Although he isn't young; he is 19 years old.
Same here until recently. I'm worried. I checked his nostrils and I can see pretty far and they look clear. His eyes are shiny wet black

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I think he might be sick, I forgot he had diarrhea couple days ago but it went away. I actually heard him poop n fart and pudding came out. I didnt worry because it's been like 95 degrees everyday. So I started soaking daily, spraying their food with water and feeding for cactus to stay hydrated. I noticed their poop more moist and wet when I started feeding more water. His poop has been soft lately.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I would keep them apart in case he is sick.
Sorry if I got anybody worried. I spend a couple hours a week sitting next to them while they get sun, I protect them from hawks and crows.

The day after this post I spent hours looking to see if he was sick. It was a false alarm. I thought maybe he had food stuck, but he has only done it once since this post. And it's been a couple days.

I came to the conclusion he hisses as a sign of dominance. I was reviewing video and he would only hiss while eating and only when other torts came near him.
I think it's his little Alpha Male attitude starting to peak lol. Hes healthy tho.

Ps I thought I would share this really cool 30$ upgrade I did. I posted before and after pics
Three hibiscus trees- 6$ a tree
Three bags of mulch- 3$ a bag

I also learned another trick. Put there food tile in a corner, and put food up against wall so they have to walk up tile and against wall to eat.

and YOU'LL NEVER HAVE YOUR SULCATAS POOP OR PEE ON THEIR FOOD EVER AGAIN. Drains right down to substrate[emoji108]
20180728_121149.jpeg20180815_114355.jpeg20180815_114345.jpeg20180815_114047.jpeg20180814_104854.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.... nice job on making that much larger enclosure and crawl space incuding HIBISCUS. Was curious on the substrate that you used, looks like Redwood mulch? Is there more than one hide and a soaking dish?

Keep up with the updates!

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Greetings.... nice job on making that much larger enclosure and crawl space incuding HIBISCUS. Was curious on the substrate that you used, looks like Redwood mulch? Is there more than one hide and a soaking dish?

Keep up with the updates!
No this is just temporary only for getting sun time. They each have a closed chamber inside my house. I was gonna add hides but I didnt want them just inside their hide while I wait for them to get sun. I used this mulch. I couldn't get them to stop eating rocks. It happened randomly. One day they just wouldn't stop eating rocks. They always have cuddlebone and Calcium powder so I don't think it's a chemical deficiency.Screenshot_20180815-123102_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I forgot to mention I dont put water dish becuase I constantly spray area down and my water hose leaks so I just put it in a corner and it's a little waterfall for them. They walk into it.
I post vidoes on little things I do on YouTube. My next project is a little mini lake. Like a mini turtle pawn. I'm gonna make it 1 inch deep and about 2 feet wide. So they can take a dip anytime they want. We've been having record breaking summer so I want water available. And I have to add water pump becuase I dont want bacteria or mosquitos building in standing water.