Dobby - Constipation

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
:( Hi to all!!! Just asking for some ideas or solution for my 5" (shell) RF Dobby. A few weeks ago she was very sick, went to the Vet and got some medicine and antibiotics, she got better, more active, running everywhere on the table and she started to eat again but since she came from the vet 2 weeks ago she haven't leave any poop. She eats fruits, greens, veggies etc, a full fresh mix diet, get soak in warm water every day plus she has a pool with warm water. The table is big so she have plenty of space to walk. The substrate is cypress mulch in almost all the table and some Bark in one of the end of the table and get rinse with warm water one or two times a day. I read from a thread here from 2010 that they use a small amount of olive oil in the food to make the tort to defecate.
Need help, that is the only remedy?? Can't take her to the Vet, they're all on christmas vacations.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Put mineral oil in her food. If she won't eat it the shoot a couple of CCS in her butt. Sounds gross but when I was worried about my Aldabra I rubbed her anus in a warm bath until it got her to pass q massive BM.. Wear gloves

Attachments

• 1387939976942.jpg
    1387939976942.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 86

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I have a baby leopard who was not pooping like the others, and seemed a bit sluggish for a few days. I did a long soak. Over an hour long. Warm water, under the basking light, supervised. In a bowl I knew she would not be able to get out of, higher sides. Baby sat comfortably until it wanted out, and could not. I watched. Lots of trying to get out. Finally, pooped. I do not know if it is the warm soak for a long period or the trying to get out activity, but pooped happened and poop is what was needed. After that, little baby ate heartedly and has been more active again. Yay. Hope this might help you.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Thanks to all!!! I will do everything you all said!! Lets hope the christmas spirit reaches her little butt!!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387977141.188907.jpg
Merry Christmas to all!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
It is the measurement. Like 2cc, 10cc. Must be from the injection thing, or you know when you use that feeder for baby animals. The one where you push and the food comes out. Don't know what they are called. Injection thingee measurement!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's cubic centimeters

It was the combination of warm water plus the frantic activity of the tortoise trying to climb out of the water. That's why we suggest warm soaks in the human bath tub. Lots of room to move around.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Oohhhh now I get it!! Jiji! Thanks a lot!!

Today Dobby was in a really big plastic bowl in warm water under the sun and still nothing. :-(

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
It might take a couple of soaks. Just keep trying. Maybe, as Yvonne suggested, more room to walk, like a human bath tub. Keep the water warm. There were folks on this forum who had sulcatas that after days of soaks like that finally pooped yukky things that were clogging/impacting their system. Even stones. Just keep at it. And I would also try the oil method on the food. Maybe take the greens and put them in a baggie or in a tupperware, add olive oil, shake and serve. That way the oil coats all the greens before eating. Hope it all works out. Out being the key word. : )

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well she is doing good! Gaining weight, last night she weight 438g, from 198g back then when she got sick. We keep giving her every day plenty of hot bath, plenty of foods y she is eating a lot more now, plenty of sunlight but no poop! This monday will be a moth since the last time we saw her poop. An we are thinking thats she is eating it. Cause she got very healthy and active and eating a lot. But no poop?!? Thats weird!! The vet return from his vacation on tuesday so will see.
Thanks for asking!!

muu

My Redfoot eats his own poop! I spoke to other owners and apparently this is normal, so Dobby could well be eating it. He wolfs it down quicker than I can get to it to stop him half the time. Bleuurggh. I'm new to the forum by the way. Just joined.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Me too! I got here like 2 month ago and is very good cause I have learn a lot here in how to take care of Dobby, she is our fisrt tort. ImageUploadedByTortForum1388947173.639273.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388947191.270211.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388947201.254009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, Dobby is really very beautiful!

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Thanks!! :) we take good care of her, keeping her colors bright, fresh food, fresh plants inside her habitat so she can be happy.

lichjen

5 Year Member
Dobby is very nice looking! Hope he takes a nice load for you soon

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
We too! But apparently she is eating it. We are keeping an eye on her