does 1 week not eating nor drinking + respiratory infection grants a Vitamin A Shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
^ Topic,

sigh... i was worried sick about torko ( my adult RF ) not having eaten nor drank anything for the last week, turned out he has a respiratory infection.. doctor said that his eyes where puffy and that he might be low in Vitamin A.... i didnt know about the effects of Vitamin A shots till i got home from the vet and now im even more Worried!! he will remain at the vets until tomorrow ( took him lastnight) what can i do to reverse the injections? should i feed him foods that have low or non existen vitamin A in them? I really trusted this Vet because of the good reviews i heard from ppl and given that his specialty are birds and reptiles and he owns 2 sulcata raised from baby to huge healthy tortoises. :( ugh cant wait till tomorrow... i want torko back... :(

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have only heard horror stories about Vitamin A shots. I hope you tortoise gets better and I am sure someone with personal knowledge of this will be able to assist...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am so sorry to year about Torko. I hope he has a speedy recovery. I have heard negative reports of vitamin A injections as well, however, it is normal to hear of horror stories more than of good ones, you know what I mean?

I would imagine that if your vet is well versed in reptile care and has had alot of experience with tortoise then there may be the chance he would have given the proper dose of vitamin A. I hope this to be the case.

In addition to the vitamin A injection what did they treat him with for the RI? Did they also give an antibiotic injection to help him recover from that as well or did they say they believed the RI was brought on by the vitamin A deficiency they suspected?

I would say to you to find out where exactly they gave the vitamin A injection so that you can pay special attention to that injection site to be able to take notice right away if you see something going wrong....and at this point I would say once you get him back that warm water soaks a couple times a day should be done...you will want him to be well hydrated so he will pass fluids more to help aid him in moving all extra vitamins he may have through his system so they don't just sit....this is what I would do in your now position.....what is done is done, you know?

I hope all turns out well and please keep us posted. Also, if he does have a negative reaction let us know and we all can try to help walk you through steps to try to help him through any possible issues. Keep in mind..not all tortoise have a negative reaction...it is just it is such a long term healing process if they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.