Does a Sulcata need high outdoor heat when they are older?

ss22matt

Location (City and/or State)
West Midlands
Mine is about 7-8 months old, 57g, I keep him somewhere between 70-85% humidity, and temps between 25 and 35c (Usually the latter on the warm end of the enclosure with the basking spot allowing higher). This is the case whether indoors or outdoors and he seems to be comfortable and healthy in these conditions.

I was wondering, as when he gets a few years old and is less vulnerable, I've been told it's best to put him into a full outdoor enclosure with heated places he can go into so he can get the benefits of natural sunlight all the time, which is fine in a UK summer, but our winters would be far too cold - Usually staying in the single figure temps or lower. We do have a rather large outhouse that can be set up with heaters etc, or hell, he could have something like a rabbit enclosure in an entire room indoors (We have the space) but does anyone have any tips for keeping a Sulcata outdoors in the UK Wintertime? I'd rather have him outdoors because we have a large garden with a lawn that is perfect for him to graze on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A heated large shed is needed for cold, and/or snowy winters with the same all over and basking temps as the young ones.
They can be given the choice to go outside if they want, as long as they can get back into that warm shed when they want.
Letting them have the choice to go out in the cold is highly debatable. However, there are members that give this choice, even with snow on the ground and their large sullies do just fine.

Minty82

Wiltshire
I let mine have access all year round,
tried to adapt many sheds never works, now i purpose build my sheds, keep them low profile and insulate the cavity’s with 50mm kind span. floor, walls and roof, lined with 18mm ply.

to heat I use tubular heater for night temps, day basking bulb on timer/thermostat, and for the winter months UVB strip light as UVI is so low.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine is about 7-8 months old, 57g, I keep him somewhere between 70-85% humidity, and temps between 25 and 35c (Usually the latter on the warm end of the enclosure with the basking spot allowing higher). This is the case whether indoors or outdoors and he seems to be comfortable and healthy in these conditions.

I was wondering, as when he gets a few years old and is less vulnerable, I've been told it's best to put him into a full outdoor enclosure with heated places he can go into so he can get the benefits of natural sunlight all the time, which is fine in a UK summer, but our winters would be far too cold - Usually staying in the single figure temps or lower. We do have a rather large outhouse that can be set up with heaters etc, or hell, he could have something like a rabbit enclosure in an entire room indoors (We have the space) but does anyone have any tips for keeping a Sulcata outdoors in the UK Wintertime? I'd rather have him outdoors because we have a large garden with a lawn that is perfect for him to graze on.
This is a tropical species. They need it warm all the time year round. No lower than 26-27. They can temporarily survive walking around in colder conditions but its not good for them. They don't need year round sunshine all day every day if your climate doesn't allow for this. They spend 95% of their lives underground in the wild, so not out in the sun much at all.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I keep Sulcata and other temperate species of tortoise in the Pacific-northwest. They are in a 12'x20' heated and insulated tortoise shed. The ambient air stays at 85 degrees all winter.

Attachments

• 100_5456.JPG
    100_5456.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 5