Does anybody here build/sell tortoise enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingasif

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pasadena
Hi there,

I need to build an outdoor enclosure for my 70lb Sulcata. Obviously need a way to keep him warm and want him to be comfortable.

Does anybody have any plans? Or build enclosures as a side business?
thanks,
asif

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Do some searches on the site.There are some dynamite sulcata facilities that forum members have built.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Asif:

I think it would be best if your tortoise can have the whole yard. A tortoise that size wouldn't be happy in an "enclosure." You can easily convert a garden shed into a safe and warm winter tortoise house. Just a bit of insulation and plywood. On the coldest days, my Dudley comes out of his "shed" and grazes. When he gets cold, he goes back inside to his heat mat.

kingasif

5 Year Member
Pasadena
Maybe I used the wrong word.... Huckleberry does have the run of the entire yard. I just need for him to have a better home so he his warm at night when things cool down.

kingasif said:
Hi there,

I need to build an outdoor enclosure for my 70lb Sulcata. Obviously need a way to keep him warm and want him to be comfortable.

Does anybody have any plans? Or build enclosures as a side business?
thanks,
asif

Enclosure might be wrong word. Need to build an outdoor home to keep him warm.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I made a outdoor home for my Sulcata and I insulated it. Eventually I will try and find a small shed which I will also insulate and put all the required heat lamps to keep him warm. Just have to be creative whith what ever you do.

You can search online for free shed plans and there are sites that tell you all the steps and what material you need to purchase..

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I was at a tort rescue and the girl that ran it had taken thoughs short rubber made or tuff shed deck boxes, cut a door in the front and put plastic strips over the hole. Then added heat ellements. They looked quit clever.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
IF IT WAS A SMALLER SULCATA OR EVEN MEDIUM,YOU COULD DO SUMTHING LIKE THIS TILL HES BIG,THE POOLS LIKE THIS COME IN ANOTHER SIZE.

IF ITS REALLY BIG THIS KINDA SET UP MAY WORK FOR YOU.I SAVED THIS PIC WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT ENCLOSURES I LIKE.

Attachments

• MMS_Resized_Pix.jpg
    MMS_Resized_Pix.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 55
  • MMS_Resized_Pix (1).jpg
    MMS_Resized_Pix (1).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 33
  • box 11.jpg
    box 11.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 30
  • enclosures i like.jpg
    enclosures i like.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 45

Maude

5 Year Member
HUCKLEBERRY! I LOVE THAT NAME!!!!! That is my greyhounds name!!!
--back to the thread--

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Click on enclosures on the first page of this forum and go through it page by page. There are quite a few threads about sulcata sheds.
Seems most do use larger Rubbermaid or wood sheds, often insulated (including the floor, to save on electricity!), with either heat lamps or pig mats, and/or UVB bulbs for dull days.
Might need to hire someone to build, or go to a home supply store where they sell sheds.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
my big box for the two large boys is 4x6 i think.. same size as the stall matt i use as the flooring.. i can open the top if need be, but its also insulated with the aluminum sided styrofoam. they have a heat matt and a che.
They still put themselves to bed at night during the summer too. but the heat is not on..
every so often, i will catch one spending the night out.. concealed somewhat, but out.

Status
Not open for further replies.