Does anyone breed C.A. Wood turtles?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I have a large group of these given to me two years ago. They live outside and have a little pond and heated night box. They are mainly eating the same diet as my box turtles. I have yet to see any breeding or nest digging. I'm wondering if they are secretive about breeding or nest digging. At what time of day do they dig nests (in the evenings like box turtles?) Any advice from someone who has experience with these lovely turtles would be much appreciated!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Gosh, I'm bummed that you haven't gotten any responses. :( I don't know anything about them, but this is one of the species I'm very interested in acquiring someday! :/

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know of only one member who had one, it did not make it, word of warning, I have wanted these for a long time, if you get some, I want some. Fair warning. I am glad they are doing well, now tell them to get cracking.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have a large group of these given to me two years ago. They live outside and have a little pond and heated night box. They are mainly eating the same diet as my box turtles. I have yet to see any breeding or nest digging. I'm wondering if they are secretive about breeding or nest digging. At what time of day do they dig nests (in the evenings like box turtles?) Any advice from someone who has experience with these lovely turtles would be much appreciated!
Do you know which ones you have? They are very secretive. I found some eggs in my greenhouse of them, unfortunately I broke them.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
They are R. p. manni. I have a feeling there is some secret breeding going on, but I never see any nest digging. I wonder if they are laying eggs inside their boxes? I will dig it up a little today and see. Have you ever had viable eggs?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Never had any viable. Have you done a wet and dry season for them? Douse them down every day for a couple months then just mist them for another month to two months. May stimulate them.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Just an update - I saw two of them breeding the other day! We have had some cooler weather and the humidity was high. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just an update - I saw two of them breeding the other day! We have had some cooler weather and the humidity was high. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?
They do prefer the wet season for breeding behavior. Central America where most species are found don't have winter or summer. They have dry and wet seasons. Wet season will be a bit cooler and more humid and lots of rain. So yes that definitely has something to do with it. Hope you get eggs.

turtlemanfla88

I keep these guys outside in Florida and bring them in when is starts going below 60 degrees. I also, work with Rhinoclemys incisa they can handle temps into the 40 then I bring them inside. I feed them pellets, earthworms, my homemade turtle jelly,and fruit. I hatched out one baby. eggs go through diapause. i had one hatch outside and adults found it before i did.