Does anyone else do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
When I am fixing the greens for the torts I take out the big stems. Like with mustard greens I strip the leaf off the thick stem. I don't want them to get choked but at the same time it causes a lot of waste. Do I just worry to much? Lana is like 20lbs so I think she would do ok with the stems. What do you guys do? Stems and all?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It is Usually a good idea to feed stems even to smaller young torts, it helps wear down there beak!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I feed things with hard stems like that on purpose - makes them work a bit for their supper and helps keep their beaks in good shape. I wouldn't worry about feeding them.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I should start feeding stems. When Tank was smaller he choked on a stem and ever since I worry. Guess it's time to let them be torts, LOL.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I might pamper the hatchlings, but the older ones get the stems and whole pieces rather then cut up and just the "prime" part of any green, fruit or veggie. I think it's not only good physically for them, but is mentally stimulating, too.... plus it's need to hear crunching coming from all the enclosures. :D

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
honestly I have cut up strawberries and apples and such for my boxies..however in nature they dont get cut up fruits and veggies...so I am wondering why I even do it...they would just munch it down in the wild....so i am going to just put it whole in there and see what they do...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I chop them up for them real small hatchling but once I know they can handle ripping the stems apart I don't chop it up ay more..

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I agree with the above comments. I let them eat the stems to help wear down their beaks. Plus, I get the impression that my torts like them just as much as the leaves - sometimes maybe more. Probably just because they like variety. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Missy said:
I should start feeding stems. When Tank was smaller he choked on a stem and ever since I worry. Guess it's time to let them be torts, LOL.

I even strip off the stems for Bob. I spent a good 10 minutes doing that this afternoon...our store just got some mustard greens...I guess I should start feeding the stems to him, he is certainly big enough

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It is soo easy to think of and treat them like kids, isn't it? Even small torts, however, have really powerful jaws and can handle pretty tough stuff easily- and if they can't, they won't bother after a couple of exploratory bites.

The only reasons I can think of to cut ANYTHING up are-
- To mix preferred and disliked foods more, to encourage eating everything served.
- To prevent fighting over an item. If I feed chicken chunks, they will fight over the big ones, so I tear them apart to roughly equal bits.
- To make it easier to eat tough rind, like with melon- I'll bust the melon to get them started.
- To encourage them to try something new.

For the most part, though, I serve things as whole as I can. Besides, there are a lot of nutrients in the stems and rinds.

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
Missy said:

I even strip off the stems for Bob. I spent a good 10 minutes doing that this afternoon...our store just got some mustard greens...I guess I should start feeding the stems to him, he is certainly big enough

Somethign that some of your are forgetting is that the stem of the plant contains the highest percentage of fiber of the plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.