Does anyone have anger issues/prone to violence?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Anger is someone or something controlling you . You can't worry bout stuff you can't change or control . I channel my anger through stuff . I build things or ride my motorcycle . When I was younger fought all the time.Then one day I just woke up and said it isn't worth it .What does it really solve ? When you feel yourself getting to the point of a melt down just walk away .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I take jiu jitsu and kickboxing. That helped with anger management . Gives you a good place to let it out . Elite MMA good gym and awesome people.

Boettgeri

Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hello

Maybe it is a little late to reply because there is already plenty of good and interesting replies.
I hope you are doing well and I wish you all the best for senior year.

I wanted to say that I can recognize myself in some of the things you say. My parents are not hispanic but portuguese and I think I understand what you say about culture. I believe anger can also come when you feel stuck in a situation and I understand you have to wait until you are 21 to go out of this. It is sad your parents don't understand you and don't allow you to really talk to them and say what you want to say. Why going to college if you don't want it, if you will feel bad about it ? I think you are right to go off if it is what feel about it. You know what you want to do in your life and I think to already know it is a good thing. In my life I did plenty of things I didn't want in order to please my parents and family and other people, I let some people hurt me bad in different kinds of way... I was struggling with my problems more and more (anger also but I was angry against me not the others) and now what I have succeeeded in life is still useless for me and it is still not good enough for my family even if I'm an adult ! That is why I believe sometimes you just have to say stop to eveybody that wants to control your life. Your life is only yours nobody will live it for you. So do what YOU want, what you choose to do, not what they want you to do. I believe once you are at peace with yourself, with your own choices anger will calm down. My tortoises also helped me a lot. I believe tortoises have some kind of "power". They are my babies, I will do anything for them to have a good life. :) Good luck and take care of your tortoises :) (sorry if a made a mistake I'm still trying to improve my english)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't know if this will help, but I'm 73 yrs old and the last time I was in jail for my temper was July 3rd, 2018. Now that's just not cool. I have had a bad temper and lousy personality all my life, and not much reason for it. You've gotten some really good advice, Angela, I wish I had been your kid.
I went to jail for my temper the first time at 12 yrs. I am your example of why you need to get a modecom of control of your temper. You actually "could" ruin your life, and it's all in front of you now. Most women have never been in a fist fight, I can't count the number I've had. I was punched when I was 30 and it broke my cheekbone and popped out my eyeball.I am only telling you these personal things because your temper is something that is going to take some work. It's not something to take lightly. I've told you these things so you could kinda look at your future if you allow that temper and hate take over. Work on the hate and the temper will go away. So many of us relate to you. I'm glad you're here

Geeze, I've been a member here for 10 years not just a few months.....I know, Yvonne, you explained it to me, but I don't haveta like it.....Maggie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't know if this will help, but I'm 73 yrs old and the last time I was in jail for my temper was July 3rd, 2018. Now that's just not cool. I have had a bad temper and lousy personality all my life, and not much reason for it. You've gotten some really good advice, Angela, I wish I had been your kid.
I went to jail for my temper the first time at 12 yrs. I am your example of why you need to get a modecom of control of your temper. You actually "could" ruin your life, and it's all in front of you now. Most women have never been in a fist fight, I can't count the number I've had. I was punched when I was 30 and it broke my cheekbone and popped out my eyeball.I am only telling you these personal things because your temper is something that is going to take some work. It's not something to take lightly. I've told you these things so you could kinda look at your future if you allow that temper and hate take over. Work on the hate and the temper will go away. So many of us relate to you. I'm glad you're here

Geeze, I've been a member here for 10 years not just a few months.....I know, Yvonne, you explained it to me, but I don't haveta like it.....Maggie
Nice to see you here, Maggy.
Anger issues have affected lots of us. None of us have benefited from it, either.
Talking about this seems therapeutic

Bee62

Germany

Hi Maggy, although I don`t know you I want to tell you that I am very impressed that you speak public about your temper problems. You are very courageous and I like the honesty of your words and I am honest too when I say that.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I was bullied before puberty and became a bully after puberty hit. People who bullied me suddenly decided I was pretty and wanted to hear what I had to say. I should’ve learned from the pain they inflicted on me but I decided being cruel was more fun. I’ll never stop regretting that.

Being angry and horrible to people is addictive, honestly. I still have a hard time letting go when someone is rude to me. I feel the urge to hurt them and ruin their life for as long as I can. It’s not healthy. I’ve mellowed out a lot since I turned 20, I’m 22 now and I haven’t blown up in years. But it takes a lot of work, and I still struggle with empathy. I have no problems having empathy for animals or even inanimate objects. I’ve cried because I felt sorry for broken bowls and cups before. With people, it’s hard for me. I constantly justify doing bad things to people because they did something bad to me, even if it’s something like “they bumped into me and didn’t say sorry, so they DESERVE to get their tires slashed!” Thankfully I don’t act on these thoughts, but I still have them and I still have the anger.

The only “episode” I don’t regret is the time I caught an older woman letting her dog poop on our lawn when I was 16. For context, someone had been letting their dog poop on our lawn then immediately reporting us for having an “untidy lawn” that was “an embarrassment to the neighborhood”. We didn’t even have a dog. Now, I had caught her. I made her pick it up with her hands and tripped her repeatedly when she tried to run. She called the police but they took my side (thankfully), apparently she had a habit of making false reports and that ended up saving me. Thanks, poop lady.

One thing I’m grateful for is my anger never extends to people I love. I’ve never blown up at family or friends. It’s always people I dislike or don’t know well. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I hurt my family.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You can always use the Serenity Prayer before you go off on somebody....

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom not to give a sh*t

that will give you a couple of minutes to take some deep breaths and walk off...always be the bigger person.

Cocorene'

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Buckeye, Arizona
Would also love to know how you are doing. I hope and pray things are working out for you. ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Yes, it gave me a jolt when I read it! ?
I think this would be a great thread to keep going because I found this forum in December or January because I'm so angry. And the policy of calling people out when they say something that is an out-of-line response is ok because I know most of the people here care about torts & our friendships we develop. And you lose the forum if constant, personal attacks are allowed that sabotage its purposes.

I hope the person who started this thread is in a good place in his/her life. Would love to see what's happening.

Alecks

Oskaloosa
The irony of finding this thread today.... I got in my first fistfight before lunch today at school.... got suspended for three days. Even though she pushed me first I'm the one who got suspended and she didn't... I'm so freaking angry...AND my mom took my phone so I can't talk to anybody about my anger. :(

Jan A

Boulder, CO
The irony of finding this thread today.... I got in my first fistfight before lunch today at school.... got suspended for three days. Even though she pushed me first I'm the one who got suspended and she didn't... I'm so freaking angry...AND my mom took my phone so I can't talk to anybody about my anger. :(
Hey, we're not "just anybody". We're here to talk, & we've all got way more years of experience & hindsight & knowledge than most on your call list. And we love torts!!

So talk to us & tell us what's on your mind. I'm up for a while & you've got others around the world ready, willing & listening.

Alecks

Oskaloosa
Hey, we're not "just anybody". We're here to talk, & we've all got way more years of experience & hindsight & knowledge than most on your call list. And we love torts!!

So talk to us & tell us what's on your mind. I'm up for a while & you've got others around the world ready, willing & listening.
hey Jan, thank you so much for being here for me, it means more than you know. As of right now, it's after midnight here and I still have to chore then I am going to bed. Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start, and even better I am going to start off my day with a little equine therapy with Sherman.(my horse) Tomorrow will be better, no school(i'm suspended) and no family home. It'll just be me and my horse. Thank goodness.
Much love, Lilly/Alecks (they/them)