Does anyone know what this is? And can sulcatas eat it safely?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It kind of looks like Wild Grape vine, BUT is this plant growing along the ground like a spreading ivy, or a thicker upright vine?

TisMary

New York
Does anyone know what this is? And can sulcatas eat it safely?
I agree with @Maro2Bear - it looks like a wild grape. I came across this interesting site which you might enjoy Know What Your Ancestors Knew - Foraging Texas It describes the "Mustang" grape in detail. Not saying that's what you have there, but take a look and see if there are similarities.

In general, two things to look at when trying to identify wild grape vines. First, are the leaves "opposite" or "alternate" on the stem? True grape vines (Vitaceae Family) have leaves that alternate up the stem. Second, does the whole stem wrap itself around that teal blue "thingy" (whatever it is?), or does the stem send out little "tendrils" that wrap around; then the stem grows upward some more, sends out more tendrils, etc? Grape vines almost always have tendrils that do the wrappin' instead of the whole vine (which would make it a "twiner" ?)

1628788007010.png
courtesy of Plant Life Blogspot

1628788294581.png
"tendrils" courtesy of Ohio State PressBooks

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Looks like a grape to me. Those little flower buds should open to be a little bit fluffy looking, white with a little bit of yellow. I’d wait for them to bloom to confirm.

Grape leaves are safe to eat.

2D8ACBC1-99D9-4802-9954-15D08FAC4107.jpeg