Does Anyone Know What this is?

DandR

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Hi - These have suddenly sprung up in dense patches all over our yard. Can someone tell me what it is and if it's a safe food? Thanks!

Plant1.jpg

Plant2.jpg

Plant3.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I think, @Pearly will be able to help you here.:D
No... I can't say I'm familiar with it. On the enlarged pics I was going to say that leaves and flowers look almost like some type of an amaranth... But then the pic on the bottom looks like that's a smaller scale plant... I hope @Iochroma comes online to help us here:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No... I can't say I'm familiar with it. On the enlarged pics I was going to say that leaves and flowers look almost like some type of an amaranth... But then the pic on the bottom looks like that's a smaller scale plant... I hope @Lochroma comes online to help us here:)
Sorry Pearly, didn't mean it.

DandR

Tortoise Club
Hawaii
If it helps, the leaves are very soft with a velvet-y feel on the underside. Thanks for whatever help anyone can give me!

Prairie Mom

The leaves confuse me, but the blossoms look like some kind of Astilbe or Goatsbeard.
???

DandR

Tortoise Club
Hawaii
Thanks! I went ahead and fed a couple of leaves to them a couple of days ago. Of course they ate it. Nothing unusual so far.....