Does anyone know???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I was wondering if there was a way w/o blood to tell if a DT is a mojave or sonoran DT, or a mix w/ texas tort. I just listened to a presentation about DT's and where captive ones are coming from,and I was just curious...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Blood tests are the best way Jen, but you should be able to tell the hybrid Desert/Texas tortoises from true Desert or Texas tortoises.
Telling the 3 different Desert tortoise populations apart visually can be almost impossible.

Danny

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
can you use blood tests to tell the sex of your tort?

i know they do this in birds...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The short answer is yes you can. :D but you can't until he's adult and by than you can visually tell what sex. :p

Danny

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks Danny that is what I figured.. Of course I will have to wait a while as mine are tiny just over 2 inches. They are so cute, one is really really orange, and they other one is much darker w/ some orange. I promise I will post pics soon,

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
egyptiandan said:
The short answer is yes you can. :D but you can't until he's adult and by than you can visually tell what sex. :p

Danny

I'm working on a headstarting study at Ft. Irwin, where we're radiotracking pen-raised juveniles that have been released outside of the pens. We're curious about the sex ratio of our study group, so we've drawn blood samples to determine their sex. Some of our guys are really small, and the largest ones aren't even close to adult size. But one of our research partners believes he has a test to determine sex, even at a young age. We collected the blood samples about 6 weeks ago; I'll report back if we get positive results.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
chelonologist said:
egyptiandan said:

Danny

I'm working on a headstarting study at Ft. Irwin, where we're radiotracking pen-raised juveniles that have been released outside of the pens. We're curious about the sex ratio of our study group, so we've drawn blood samples to determine their sex. Some of our guys are really small, and the largest ones aren't even close to adult size. But one of our research partners believes he has a test to determine sex, even at a young age. We collected the blood samples about 6 weeks ago; I'll report back if we get positive results.

That would be great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.