Does Anyone Raise Worms? Post your Pictures Here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have a small plastic tub with holes drilled in the bottom. I filled it with decomposed horse manure, dirt, leaves and kitchen garbage (no meat), including paper towells and newspaper. Then I went to the bait shop and bought a couple tubs of worms. Here's what mine looks like - let's see yours too:

worm bin a.jpg worm bin b.jpg

It's under the eaves of the car port, but it does get full morning sun, so I've propped a piece of wood up in front of it to keep it in the shade. The plant is an avocado seed that was in the garbage.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't container raise worms but I farm the ones that live here naturally.wormfarm.jpg I set this up last fall to have access to worms for the hatchling box turtles that I kept awake over winter. Just lift up a stack of paper and pick the worms off the top of the soil.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't container raise worms but I farm the ones that live here naturally.View attachment 234973 I set this up last fall to have access to worms for the hatchling box turtles that I kept awake over winter. Just lift up a stack of paper and pick the worms off the top of the soil.
What a clever idea!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I just have a bunch in a planter container. It's actually part of an old fountain.IMG_20180402_201951.jpg There are no holes in the bottom because I was worried that the worms would get out. I am mostly propagating them for my toads. Used coffee grounds every week or two are the only food I'm giving so far. I keep the dirt moistish and when I need some worms I will overturn it into another container. Newspaper will be added in layers but for right now I don't have newspaper in the house.... This is a new thing I'm doing because my toads didn't recognize the worms as food and I was wasting the worms by retrying them with new ones bought at the bait store every few days... I figured whatever they didn't eat I'd throw in the bucket and at least they would live for me to try another day. I know they're still alive because they come out at night. they're right on my Lanai next to my door. And I know I'll have little worms soon as I saw them breeding...lol

Becca267

5 Year Member
North Texas
I don't have pictures but used to have a worm composter (Rubbermaid tub with air holes) in my kitchen. I was using it to compost kitchen trash in my old apartment, but it was easy and created a lot of red wigglers. I used the book "Worms Eat My Garbage" as a guide. Good book, funny title.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have several very large plastic containers (90 gal I think) formerly used fo hold tree transplants. I’ve been raising Red Wrigglers for years in these containers adding apple cores, banana skins old rotten veggies, leaves, grass, etc. The nice thing is that the worms devour all of this refuse and turn it into black gold AND remain pretty much staying on the very top 1/3 of the pile.

It’s been a cold Winter and Spring here in Maryland so they are obviously slower now.

I’ll get a pix of the containers.

Here’s a really good link to a red worm fanatic, who provides LOTS of good, free info on composting with red worms. https://www.redwormcomposting.com/bentley-christie/

Last edited:

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
This is what my ad hoc, indoor worm bin looks like... without the "lid" on it.

Attachments

• WP_20180810_08_19_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180810_08_19_07_Pro.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
And this is what it looks like WITH the lid on it.

Attachments

• WP_20180810_08_24_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180810_08_24_24_Pro.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9