Does Anyone Still Soak Their Tortoise Prior To Hibernation?

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Good evening everyone,

I just want to know if anyone soak's their tortoise prior to hibernation. I thought Jacky looked dehydrated today so I gave her a soak and she went a bit hyper. She climbed everywhere and flipped twice! This will be her second year of hibernating inside and she will be 87 on Wednesday.

MaNaAk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good evening everyone,

I just want to know if anyone soak's their tortoise prior to hibernation. I thought Jacky looked dehydrated today so I gave her a soak and she went a bit hyper. She climbed everywhere and flipped twice! This will be her second year of hibernating inside and she will be 87 on Wednesday.

MaNaAk
Everyone should be soaking daily, or at least every other day for a good month leading up to brumation. This helps to ensure the gut is empty and the tortoise is well hydrated.

MaNaAk

Southend
Everyone should be soaking daily, or at least every other day for a good month leading up to brumation. This helps to ensure the gut is empty and the tortoise is well hydrated.
Yes her gut is definitely empty.

MaNaAk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes her gut is definitely empty.

MaNaAk
Seems a bit early for that, but if that is what works for you, then okay.

I feed mine well through October, and give supplemental day time heat if necessary. I cut them off in November with frequent soaks, and gradually reduced temps and light duration, and they go down for brumation starting in December. I usually wake them in March, depending on the weather.

MaNaAk

Southend
Seems a bit early for that, but if that is what works for you, then okay.

I feed mine well through October, and give supplemental day time heat if necessary. I cut them off in November with frequent soaks, and gradually reduced temps and light duration, and they go down for brumation starting in December. I usually wake them in March, depending on the weather.
I'm still feeding Daisy as she is not hibernating and Jacky hasn't been tempted by her food for over a fortnight.
Other years they have stopped eating in October and one year it was August.

MaNaAk

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good evening everyone,

MaNaAk
Yes, I do.