Does koopa have a respiratory infection?

Elliek

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
i got a red footed tortoise about a week ago, since I’ve had him he’s always had little snot bubbles and make clicking and squeaky noises when he pulls his head into his shell. I thought it was part of his personality until I read the snot bubbles may be a sign of a respiratory infection. He has a huge appetite and isn’t showing any signs of sickness apart from the bubbles and noises. Can someone please tell me if I should be concerned? (Tank and tortoise pics included)

Attachments

• 783E2400-5ACE-446D-ACEA-89DE26B5FF6B.jpeg
    783E2400-5ACE-446D-ACEA-89DE26B5FF6B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 0C9222E3-5C0E-4D0C-9E7E-2A3437E5F9C0.jpeg
    0C9222E3-5C0E-4D0C-9E7E-2A3437E5F9C0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 7B07F268-B46F-47C3-8C89-60455777D13C.jpeg
    7B07F268-B46F-47C3-8C89-60455777D13C.jpeg
    881.6 KB · Views: 9

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The one thing I notice is the temp/humidity gauge. They are not accurate and it's not at tort level.
Get a digital one and place it at tort level.
What kind of heat and lighting are you using?

Elliek

Florida
The one thing I notice is the temp/humidity gauge. They are not accurate and it's not at tort level.
Get a digital one and place it at tort level.
What kind of heat and lighting are you using?
By tort level do you mean at the bottom of the tank? I’m using a dome cover UVB and basking light at the moment but I think I may need a stronger light.

Elliek

Florida
I see a few issues there.
However I'm unable to post much at the moment.
Where in Florida are you?
Boca Raton. The weather outside is great for a tort and I plan on moving him outside when he’s a little bigger since I have dogs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Boca Raton. The weather outside is great for a tort and I plan on moving him outside when he’s a little bigger since I have dogs.
Him being bigger does not mean he can be with dogs. He will have to have his own area that the dogs can not get into ever or he will become their chew toy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
By tort level do you mean at the bottom of the tank? I’m using a dome cover UVB and basking light at the moment but I think I may need a stronger light.
Tort level is placing the gauge at the same level that the middle to top of the torts shell reaches or you can set it on the top of the substrate.

Elliek

Florida
Him being bigger does not mean he can be with dogs. He will have to have his own area that the dogs can not get into ever or he will become their chew toy.
I have an area planned out where he will be protected from the dogs and they couldn’t get him but I’m just nervous putting him outside while he’s this tiny because my dogs might investigate the new area and spook him. Would it be better for his health outside while he’s tiny and I could put him in an area high enough where the dogs couldn’t investigate? (I have an aquatic turtle outside where the dogs can’t get him nor do they try to, but they sniff around the pond and look in the water a lot so he’s always hiding under the lily pads in his pond)

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Putting him outside for an 1/2 hour to 1 hour a day or several times a week would be great for him. Just always be sure there is lots of shade and cover and warm enough. You could make the area you have for him smaller by just blocking some of it off temporarily while still small.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Putting him outside for an 1/2 hour to 1 hour a day or several times a week would be great for him. Just always be sure there is lots of shade and cover and warm enough. You could make the area you have for him smaller by just blocking some of it off temporarily while still small.
That'd be great.
And I'd get rid of your current UVB bulb

Elliek

Florida
I just tried that with him yesterday and he was so happy. I’m definitely gonna let him outside more I just wanna watch him while he’s tiny :)

zovick

10 Year Member!
i got a red footed tortoise about a week ago, since I’ve had him he’s always had little snot bubbles and make clicking and squeaky noises when he pulls his head into his shell. I thought it was part of his personality until I read the snot bubbles may be a sign of a respiratory infection. He has a huge appetite and isn’t showing any signs of sickness apart from the bubbles and noises. Can someone please tell me if I should be concerned? (Tank and tortoise pics included)
The bubbles and clicking/squeaking noises which you are noticing when the tortoise tries to breathe and to pull its head in are NOT normal. They are signs of respiratory problems/infection.

Yes, if it were my tortoise, I would be definitely concerned. The tortoise should probably have a series of injections of ceftazidime to combat the infection before it gets worse. Do you have a good tortoise vet near you?

Stephanie Rae

Corvallis
I have no advice, but my tort is named Koopa!!

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
Meet my Happy Mojo..Hes a Redfoot around 4 year; approx 5 pounds and growing. I live in Idaho so I have the humidifier going most of the time in his room. Petco talked me into buying a glass enclosure, but reading how cruel that is, as they see there reflection all the time..and bump into the glass, I returned it. When he was a baby tort, I got a plastic open sweater box filled with proper dirt etc. Now Hes outdoors in the spring/summer in rail road tie box or walking in the grass when I am with him. I am sure the experts can advise on enclosures. When its in the 30-40 I have humidifer going that I got at Walgreens, we use it too., and the UVB/UVA shining in an area, along with the evening heat lamp inside in his room.
I have a low heater going at night to keep it warm. He wanders around, hides in corners,peaks out and wakes up early for his breakfast.

He snorts when he get in his shell sometimes too..like a sneeze..When he gets the sniffles I take him to a vet and they prescribe 2 doses and then hes good to go. If his nose and eyes are watering for sure get it checked out. I know I am biased but Redfoot Torties are so sweet and loving..they are worth the effort.

Congratulations

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
Meet my Happy Mojo..Hes a Redfoot around 4 year; approx 5 pounds and growing. I live in Idaho so I have the humidifier going most of the time in his room. Petco talked me into buying a glass enclosure, but reading how cruel that is, as they see there reflection all the time..and bump into the glass, I returned it. When he was a baby tort, I got a plastic open sweater box filled with proper dirt etc. Now Hes outdoors in the spring/summer in rail road tie box or walking in the grass when I am with him. I am sure the experts can advise on enclosures. When its in the 30-40 I have humidifer going that I got at Walgreens, we use it too., and the UVB/UVA shining in an area, along with the evening heat lamp inside in his room.
I have a low heater going at night to keep it warm. He wanders around, hides in corners,peaks out and wakes up early for his breakfast.

He snorts when he get in his shell sometimes too..like a sneeze..When he gets the sniffles I take him to a vet and they prescribe 2 doses and then hes good to go. If his nose and eyes are watering for sure get it checked out. I know I am biased but Redfoot Torties are so sweet and loving..they are worth the effort.

Congratulations
PS If he is eating well..eating..and bowels are not runny..maybe watch him for a day or so and see if it clears up?