Does my baby Fl Box Turtle have shell rot/ fungal infection?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Hi everyone,

I have some recent Fl box turtle hatchlings, they are doing great and are relatively active and have a big appetite. They are eating mealworms, waxworms, isopods, roaches, etc. However, as I was soaking them, on one of the five I noticed what looks like some form of shell rot or a fungal infection on the underside of the carapace. It is only on one, all the others do not have any signs of this. Should I cut back on spraying down the enclosure? It is pretty humid and moist.
IMG_3558.jpgIMG_3559.jpg
IMG_3240.JPG

Thanks!
Michael

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of box turtle hatchlings are raised in water for some time, so I don't think it's from being to wet.
Looks to me, what I can tell, the pic gets a bit blurry when I try to enlarge it to see what you are seeing. But my guess would be it was scraped on something of another baby did something.
See what @Yvonne G thinks.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
A lot of box turtle hatchlings are raised in water for some time, so I don't think it's from being to wet.
Looks to me, what I can tell, the pic gets a bit blurry when I try to enlarge it to see what you are seeing. But my guess would be it was scraped on something of another baby did something.
See what @Yvonne G thinks.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about how it shouldn't be from being too wet. Not sure if this size is better for the pictures.IMG_3559 (1).jpgIMG_3558 (1).jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does it's legs look puffy? I circled the part in the pic.
I'm not sure about the other marks. Some look like a scrape. The white, are you sure it's not calcium and will rub off? The other, that you circled, looks like defect or growth by the back leg.
I'll tag @Tom
1000002058.png

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Does it's legs look puffy? I circled the part in the pic.
I'm not sure about the other marks. Some look like a scrape. The white, are you sure it's not calcium and will rub off? The other, that you circled, looks like defect or growth by the back leg.
I'll tag @Tom
View attachment 379957
Hmm, yeah I don’t think it’s calcium since it is basically part of the shell and wouldn’t rub off. Regarding the puffiness, I think that was just because it was after it had soaked for a bit, usually they get like that after soaking. Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some people use "the water method" of raising box turtles and actually keep them in shallow water, so I doubt that spraying it making it too wet.

I can't see a problem in your pics. If you suspect a shell infection, which is very unlikely for the species, I would brush the area clean with a tooth brush, apply some betadine with a Q-tip, and let it dry out. Keep the baby in a dry area for a couple of hours. Then rinse and put it back in the enclosure.

What are you using for substrate in that enclosure?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Some people use "the water method" of raising box turtles and actually keep them in shallow water, so I doubt that spraying it making it too wet.

I can't see a problem in your pics. If you suspect a shell infection, which is very unlikely for the species, I would brush the area clean with a tooth brush, apply some betadine with a Q-tip, and let it dry out. Keep the baby in a dry area for a couple of hours. Then rinse and put it back in the enclosure.

What are you using for substrate in that enclosure?
Ok thanks very much for the input. Yeah I was just worried about it being the start of something like this I have seen in young gopher tortoises. But that’s very good to know, and I’ll do that anyway to be safe. Regarding substrate, it’s a mix of coco coir and topsoil.IMG_1957.jpeg