Does my Hermann’s Tortoise look healthy?

ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello :)

Just wanted to check if my tortoise looks healthy. He was born 20/07/18, i’ve had him for about 3 weeks, his carapace is 5.5cm and he weighs 38 grams (Jackson Ratio of 0.22, which is a bit overweight because i used to overfeed until i learned the right amount).

He is now fed on a couple of leaves from store bought Florette Crispy Mix, 1/2 a dandelion and a few leaves of salad cress.

He has a massive 60x130cm enclosure with a ratio of 9:1 topsoil:sand but i am considering changing substrate to 100% coco coir or 5:5 coco coir:topsoil.

The enclosure has a 100w Arcadia Mercury Vapour Bulb that is about 20cm above a flat rock (It’s that close because the recommended 30cm was not at least 30c, it’s winter and should have got the 150w bulb.) The other side of the enclosure stays at around 15-18c during the day and 12-15c at night. A constant humidity level of 50-65%.

He seems to prefer to burrying himself halfway in the substrate than go into the flower pot next to the flat rock but that doesn’t bother me.

During the day he is very active, walks around in circles and explores the enclosure everyday for about 20 mins and then has a rest. He eats all his meal after i bath him in warm water (25c) for about 10 mins everyday. He doesn’t poop or pee every time in the bath but does sometimes. When he does pee he has toothpaste like urates sometimes. He also has a small pool of cold water in the enclosure.

Here are some photos.
769E6CA5-3EBE-4E8C-8ECE-00DDF11B93C7.jpeg 7E6AD480-CD3D-4ED6-BADA-A1EB856415A8.jpeg 3DEA15F3-029D-4D5E-8A84-7E0D646FA10E.jpeg

Thanks!

ayrgrn

UK
He looks awfully dry. What substrate are you using?
9:1 topsoil:play sand
But i was thinking of changing to 100% coco coir
I also bath for 10 mins a day with water at 25c
He has a pool of water in enclosure aswell
thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like his shell would benefit from his environment being more humid. Soaking is good, but the air is obviously too dry. I'm only answering the question you asked, "Does my hermanns look healthy?"

ayrgrn

UK
That “thanks” wasn’t meant to sound sarcastic sry, and okay, ill try to make the air more humid, this might be hard because of the topsoil, do you think the coco coir would be better?

snivloc16

Kansas
I used coco coir/top soil when my hermanns was younger. I did 75/25. I would highly recommend sifting the top soil real well. Sometimes there’s unwanted stuff in there.

ayrgrn

UK
I used coco coir/top soil when my hermanns was younger. I did 75/25. I would highly recommend sifting the top soil real well. Sometimes there’s unwanted stuff in there.
Would that be better than just 100% coco coir?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That “thanks” wasn’t meant to sound sarcastic sry, and okay, ill try to make the air more humid, this might be hard because of the topsoil, do you think the coco coir would be better?
One of the things I've done for my tortoise and myself is try to get our home to 40% humidity. Then it's not so hard to get your tortoise enclosure up to the proper humidity for a tortoise..

ayrgrn

UK
One of the things I've done for my tortoise and myself is try to get our home to 40% humidity. Then it's not so hard to get your tortoise enclosure up to the proper humidity for a tortoise..
To get your humidity up to where it needs to be, you will need a closed chamber to trap humidity and heat in.
Thanks for the replies, my hygrometer says that i have about 60% humidity in the air in the enclosure so i don’t know if that needs increasing? thanks

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks for the replies, my hygrometer says that i have about 60% humidity in the air in the enclosure so i don’t know if that needs increasing? thanks
It would depend on the healthy humidity for a leopord. I have a Russian. He needs 40 to 60%. So do I. When I increased the humidity in our home it really helped me and my tortoise's health. If the air is dry I feel like I can't breathe.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
It looks like his shell would benefit from his environment being more humid. Soaking is good, but the air is obviously too dry. I'm only answering the question you asked, "Does my hermanns look healthy?"
I thought the same thing ... he looks very dry, but if there’s a cuter one somewhere, I’d sure like to see a photo! Enjoy your little friend.