Does my Russian tortoise have hatchling failure syndrome?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Hello! so where do you buy this orchard bark? and what brand?
You can buy it in a garden center. Sometimes Lowes or Home Depot will have it in their garden department. Orchid bark is the same as fir bark so if you find one that just says fir bark that is ok. Just make sure there's no additives, chemicals, coloring etc.
So glad your tort is doing better!!

EE torts

USA
You can buy it in a garden center. Sometimes Lowes or Home Depot will have it in their garden department. Orchid bark is the same as fir bark so if you find one that just says fir bark that is ok. Just make sure there's no additives, chemicals, coloring etc.
So glad your tort is doing better!!
okay i will try to find some there, it's pretty pricey :)

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
At my local garden center the bags that said "orchid bark" were very expensive but the regular ole fir bark was only $4 for a very large bag.

EE torts

USA
good morning! updating you about pebbles he is eating his romain lettuce today!

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Omg!! you guys i just gave him a second bath and he ate some carrot again and he is walking arould his enclosure and being a little more active!

Just letting you know that you are the ONLY “success story” in a while [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]. Keep up the good work [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]. Try offering other foods, mixed with the carrots, remember about the sugars in it. So happy for you guys!!!

EE torts

USA
Just letting you know that you are the ONLY “success story” in a while [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]. Keep up the good work [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]. Try offering other foods, mixed with the carrots, remember about the sugars in it. So happy for you guys!!!
thank you! okay i won't feed so much carrot

EE torts

USA
I was also wondering if his weight sounds okay he is 1 and a half inches long (SCL) and 16 grams (0.6 ounces) dose this sound okay? he is also 3 months old

Last edited:

EE torts

USA
Update he will not eat today sleeping a lot again, i really don't know what to do :(

drew54

Indiana
Update he will not eat today sleeping a lot again, i really don't know what to do :(

keep up soaks, humidity, temp, etc. I've read where several members have suggested vitasol, but I'll let them chime in about that. You could also look into a vet.

EE torts

USA
Keep it up. We are all pulling for you guys and you are making progress. Two steps forward, one step back...
okay i will keep doing the same stuff. how do you think his weight is?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
okay i will keep doing the same stuff. how do you think his weight is?
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that. I have heard people say over and over that each tort is different when it comes to weight, size and growth rate. If I were you I'd focus more on wether he is losing weight and how much. Not his current weight. Have you seen a decline in weight? Also don't drive yourself too crazy with it cause they fluctuate up and down because of hydration.. just like people.

EE torts

USA
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that. I have heard people say over and over that each tort is different when it comes to weight, size and growth rate. If I were you I'd focus more on wether he is losing weight and how much. Not his current weight. Have you seen a decline in weight? Also don't drive yourself too crazy with it cause they fluctuate up and down because of hydration.. just like people.
He used to be 18g now 16g so hopefully if he eats more he will regain most of it back.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
He used to be 18g now 16g so hopefully if he eats more he will regain most of it back.
I'm no expert but I think that amount of loss is no big deal. I have adult Russians and they can be 10g different from day to day. They also don't eat occasionally so don't drive yourself crazy over a day of not eating here and there. Look at the big picture. You've had some good days and that is a great sign but stay on top of it. You are doing great. Keep it up.

EE torts

USA
I'm no expert but I think that amount of loss is no big deal. I have adult Russians and they can be 10g different from day to day. They also don't eat occasionally so don't drive yourself crazy over a day of not eating here and there. Look at the big picture. You've had some good days and that is a great sign but stay on top of it. You are doing great. Keep it up.
okay good to know. thank you so much for all your advice.

xphare

Denver
I would not use cypress mulch because tortoises sometimes eat it and could die. When eco earth is too messy cover it with fine orchid bark. The orchid bark keeps humidity fine.
I would increase the night temps for your baby tort too.

I have never had a baby eat the cypress mulch nor heard of tortoises eating wood. Please elaborate.