Does my Russian tortoise have hatchling failure syndrome?

EE torts

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Update so he is eating and after his soak he went on his feeding slate waiting for me to feed him!

EE torts

USA
hello everyone! pebbles is do good for the most part he is eating and he gained 2 grams, but he is still very inactive is this just because he is a hatchling and feels vulnerable or is there something wrong?

drew54

Indiana
hello everyone! pebbles is do good for the most part he is eating and he gained 2 grams, but he is still very inactive is this just because he is a hatchling and feels vulnerable or is there something wrong?

Could be a slow process for the little guy to get better. You still keeping up with soaks, checking temps, etc? Also, is he just eating romaine?

EE torts

USA
Could be a slow process for the little guy to get better. You still keeping up with soaks, checking temps, etc? Also, is he just eating romaine?
yes daily or twice daily soaks, yes doing everything the same temps humidity etc. no he is not eating just romaine i slowly added in collard greens and some zoomed tortoise food, i know it dose not sound like the most varied diet but this is the only food he will eat i am trying to slowly introduce new foods,

drew54

Indiana
yes daily or twice daily soaks, yes doing everything the same temps humidity etc. no he is not eating just romaine i slowly added in collard greens and some zoomed tortoise food, i know it dose not sound like the most varied diet but this is the only food he will eat i am trying to slowly introduce new foods,

Just keep doing what your doing and hopefully this little guy will perk up soon.

EE torts

USA
Good morning! so today he was up before me walking around going on top of his hides etc. he is finally acting like normal! i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped us over come HFS if it warrant for everyone here giving me advice and helping out he definitely would not have gotten this far, so thank you so much for all the help i appreciate it so much and i'm sure pebbles dose too.

drew54

Indiana
Good morning! so today he was up before me walking around going on top of his hides etc. he is finally acting like normal! i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped us over come HFS if it warrant for everyone here giving me advice and helping out he definitely would not have gotten this far, so thank you so much for all the help i appreciate it so much and i'm sure pebbles dose too.

Little one still doing good?

EE torts

USA
this morning he woke up and started his day a couple hours later i saw him drinking out of his water dish for the first time and now he is just sitting in it soaking him self basically i am so happy he is defiantly well hydrated now since he is getting daily soaks pluse doing it on his own IMG_5749.JPGand yes the water dish is messy because he draged his substrate in i clean it daily.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
this morning he woke up and started his day a couple hours later i saw him drinking out of his water dish for the first time and now he is just sitting in it soaking him self basically i am so happy he is defiantly well hydrated now since he is getting daily soaks pluse doing it on his own View attachment 256119and yes the water dish is messy because he draged his substrate in i clean it daily.
The substrate looks quite dry. Damp substrate stays innplace better and helps to raise humidity. Apologies if it's just the photo. If not, take all the decor out and tip water in from a jug, mixing it with your hands until all of it is evenly damp right to the bottom and into the corners.

You can also try surrounding the water dish with large flat pebbles so there's a hard surface for claw maintenance and the substrate isn't dragged in so easily.

Those reptile bowls aren't ideal for torts as the steep sides are tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer would be better.

drew54

Indiana
With the coco coir I would use just that and it got to the point where o was tired of all the mess, so I keep the coir damp and a little swampy them added orchid bark over it and just misted the bark until the wicking began keeping the bark damp. It also is a much cleaner environment. The only issue I have is cleaning out her terra cotta dish where her playroom rubs and I get green what looks like moss build up. It's actually from her grasses and weeds. I have to clean it with a tooth brush every two days, but I'm good with that as long as her enclosure looks and stays cleaner.

Redwood City
temps our 70 on the cool side slowly going to 77-80 middle and 95 basking temp humidity 70 precent.
i use a 4ft UVB 10.0 covers most the enclosure.
i feed all of these switching day to day mixing different stuff arugula, collard greens, radicchio, endive, dandelion leaves and flowers, clovers, cactus pads and fruit, Brussel sprouts,i have tried zoomed grassland tortoise food and he dose not like it.
(in the pics you will see a humidity gauge i onley use it for aproximent humidity i know these our not very accurate i will be getting a better one. i also use a temp gun for the temp because those our pretty accurate.) View attachment 254783 View attachment 254784 View attachment 254785 View attachment 254786

I think you could even lower the humdity, I have a friend who raises up his Russian Tortoise outside in a dry environment and it has no pyramiding. Make sure to feed no fruits, as this will be hard for the tortoise to digest, and will weaken the immune system as it tries to eat more.

EE torts

USA
The substrate looks quite dry. Damp substrate stays innplace better and helps to raise humidity. Apologies if it's just the photo. If not, take all the decor out and tip water in from a jug, mixing it with your hands until all of it is evenly damp right to the bottom and into the corners.

You can also try surrounding the water dish with large flat pebbles so there's a hard surface for claw maintenance and the substrate isn't dragged in so easily.

Those reptile bowls aren't ideal for torts as the steep sides are tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer would be better.
thanks for the info! a couple times a week i mix water in the substrate like you said, i was going to do that today anyway, yes i have heard that the reptile bowels aren't ideal but i have a small terracotta dish but the sides our actually higher than the reptile bowels and he has a harder time going in and out in the terracota dish than the reptile bowel, thank you though.

EE torts

USA
I think you could even lower the humdity, I have a friend who raises up his Russian Tortoise outside in a dry environment and it has no pyramiding. Make sure to feed no fruits, as this will be hard for the tortoise to digest, and will weaken the immune system as it tries to eat more.
really lower the humidity? everyone eles on the forum said rais it what should i do?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
really lower the humidity? everyone eles on the forum said rais it what should i do?
Follow the advice of experienced long term members of this forum like @Tom

If your tortoise is young then high humidity and steady warmth is the way to go

An older tortoise can cope in lower levels of humidity and temperatures can drop a little at night

A tortoise may survive what the friend of a more recent member of the forum does, but it isn't the way we have discovered to be in the best interests of the tortoise