Does my sulcata soak too long?

SkyandSheldon

Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
My sulcata sprawls in the tub for as long as I will let him. He even smiles through it and wants to be near me after, I think it's adorable and he seems happy... But is there risks? Everyone seems to soak for a way shorter amount of time

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Agreed. As long as you keep the water warm mine will sit there 45 minutes to hour. He loves it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no definitive answer for this. What I can offer is the longest extreme that I know of. My buddy @DeanS lives in a very hot dry climate. He wanted his tortoises to be outside getting sunshine and exercise, but he didn't want them to dry out. His solution: Put them in a large kiddie pool with a little warm water and let them be outside, soaking, for 5-6 hours at a time. He closely monitored them, their temps, the water temps, and the result was some very healthy, smooth growing sulcata babies. He did this daily.

So, in reference to your question, I know that a 6 hour daily soak is good for them, as long as the temps are warm. I've walked away and forgotten mine for 2-3 hours a couple of times, and an hour is pretty normal for me. I soak in my warm reptile room and the water gets poopy, but it does no harm. I know of people that have forgotten them in their soak water over night, and that did no harm either.

Using these extremes as a guide, I really don't think long soaks are any problem.

SkyandSheldon

Wyoming
There is no definitive answer for this. What I can offer is the longest extreme that I know of. My buddy @DeanS lives in a very hot dry climate. He wanted his tortoises to be outside getting sunshine and exercise, but he didn't want them to dry out. His solution: Put them in a large kiddie pool with a little warm water and let them be outside, soaking, for 5-6 hours at a time. He closely monitored them, their temps, the water temps, and the result was some very healthy, smooth growing sulcata babies. He did this daily.

So, in reference to your question, I know that a 6 hour daily soak is good for them, as long as the temps are warm. I've walked away and forgotten mine for 2-3 hours a couple of times, and an hour is pretty normal for me. I soak in my warm reptile room and the water gets poopy, but it does no harm. I know of people that have forgotten them in their soak water over night, and that did no harm either.

Using these extremes as a guide, I really don't think long soaks are any problem.

I really appreciate that insight.
After everything the past super busy week he has been stressed out from the move. I guess right now the soaks are beneficial, but I realize the more I try to do the more I stress him out. He hasn't been purring so I think I'm gonna take a couple days without soak and let him hide in his house with fresh greens and mazuri waiting right outside changed daily. He did not handle the relocation well so we're going to the vet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really appreciate that insight.
After everything the past super busy week he has been stressed out from the move. I guess right now the soaks are beneficial, but I realize the more I try to do the more I stress him out. He hasn't been purring so I think I'm gonna take a couple days without soak and let him hide in his house with fresh greens and mazuri waiting right outside changed daily. He did not handle the relocation well so we're going to the vet
Most vets know very little about tortoise care. Be careful. They frequently want to do "vitamin injections" or administer antibiotics that aren't needed and can be harmful or dangerous. Most of them fail to address the cause of any sickness and instead try to treat symptoms without addressing or fixing the problem.

What symptoms are you seeing that make you think he is stressed and not handling the relocation well? What symptoms do you want a vet to treat?

Tell us more about how he's being housed and what all his temperatures are, and we might be able to offer some helpful insight.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
My vet said that soaking is never a bad thing and can’t be done too much. I really like her.