Does my tortoise have a fungus?

luptakr

Location (City and/or State)
Boca Raton, FL
It was suggested to me that my tortoise has a fungus on its shell. I have attached a few pictures. I live in Florida where the weather is very hot but she stays under foliage that retains water (bromeliads) and is under the trees so it can tend to be damp if it is raining a lot. She's had the dip in her shell for many years but it was pointed out that there is separation between the plates that may indicate a fungus. I've lost the male from a shell injury that became systemic and I don't want to lose this tortoise that I raised virtually from birth - she's a sweety!

Thank you for an guidance you can provide on the diagnosis and solution, and thanks for allowing me to join your forum!

20180828_161531[1].jpg 20180828_161537[1].jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you know a good vet who understands about tortoises? I don't know what to tell you about the shell, but a couple of those spots look pretty bad. . . especially the last picture. My first impression was that the new growth looked burned, but you say the tortoise lives outside, so other than the sun, what could be burning the new growth? Also the new growth looks very dry.

My advice would be to put a dab of silver sulfadiazine on that raw-looking spot to help it heal. But I don't know what to do with the rest of the shell. Maybe some coconut oil between the scutes to help soften the new growth? If you do use some sort of oil, be sure, after you've left it on long enough to absorb, to wipe off the excess.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't know, sorry.

All I can say is: welcome to the forum.

luptakr

Boca Raton, FL
Do you know a good vet who understands about tortoises? I don't know what to tell you about the shell, but a couple of those spots look pretty bad. . . especially the last picture. My first impression was that the new growth looked burned, but you say the tortoise lives outside, so other than the sun, what could be burning the new growth? Also the new growth looks very dry.

My advice would be to put a dab of silver sulfadiazine on that raw-looking spot to help it heal. But I don't know what to do with the rest of the shell. Maybe some coconut oil between the scutes to help soften the new growth? If you do use some sort of oil, be sure, after you've left it on long enough to absorb, to wipe off the excess.

Thank you Yvonne for your quick reply. I don't think she is out int he sun long enough to get burned - she usually comes out late in the day after the sun has started to go away. I put iodine on the grooves this morning and I have her in the house right now in a tub since it is raining outside. I like the coconut oil idea - I use that on my skin...but I guess I'll have to find a plcae to bring her for a more experienced examination...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't use iodine too often. Yes, it kills germs, but it also inhibits the growth of new cells. Are you near where @ALDABRAMAN lives? He's quite experienced and he may know of a good tortoise vet in your area.

luptakr

Boca Raton, FL
Don't use iodine too often. Yes, it kills germs, but it also inhibits the growth of new cells. Are you near where @ALDABRAMAN lives? He's quite experienced and he may know of a good tortoise vet in your area.
Thanks again for your input. I'm having some challenge maneuvering through the forum - getting acclimated - so not sure where to find ALDABAMAN or their location...but per your advice, I have scheduled to bring her for a professional look on Monday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't need to find him. When I put the "@" in front of his username it sends him an alert. So he'll get the alert and read this thread and hopefully reply about the vet in your area.