Does my tortoise need his nails clipped?

Honey001

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham UK
2 year old Hermann. Has never had them done

Attachments

• 616D7696-054F-4ABE-8593-1195D96ACD3F.jpeg
    616D7696-054F-4ABE-8593-1195D96ACD3F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • CCAD7275-5769-444E-A87B-DC58D0868AC1.jpeg
    CCAD7275-5769-444E-A87B-DC58D0868AC1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Indeed. Just don't cut into the live part or it will hurt and bleed. The live part is where the darker color starts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They can be but I don't think they have to be.
If you give some hard surface like flat rock to eat and walk on, he will keep them worn down.
I have had my tortoises since 2011 and have never cut a nail.

Honey001

Birmingham UK
They can be but I don't think they have to be.
If you give some hard surface like flat rock to eat and walk on, he will keep them worn down.
I have had my tortoises since 2011 and have never cut a nail.
He does have a slate which he walks on but I don’t notice his nails ever being filed naturally. Do you think he needs to get them cut or is he okay?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They do not need to be cut at this time, but this is something to address going forward. Does your tortoise have a large 4x8 foot enclosure indoors, and something even larger outdoors?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He does have a slate which he walks on but I don’t notice his nails ever being filed naturally. Do you think he needs to get them cut or is he okay?
I agree with Tom. They really don't need it yet. But if you want to you can, not needed though.
Be sure he has the proper size enclosure and I would add another piece of slate or so to help.

Honey001

Birmingham UK
They do not need to be cut at this time, but this is something to address going forward. Does your tortoise have a large 4x8 foot enclosure indoors, and something even larger outdoors?
Yeah his enclosure is big enough and I spend most of my money on enrichment things for him and when it’s warm enough he spends the day outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah his enclosure is big enough and I spend most of my money on enrichment things for him and when it’s warm enough he spends the day outside.
Lots of people think their enclosure is "big enough" because that is what the pet store told them and sold them. Is the enclosure 122x244 cm, or larger? The pet shops do not sell anything that size.

Citron Elegans

PA
Lots of people think their enclosure is "big enough" because that is what the pet store told them and sold them. Is the enclosure 122x244 cm, or larger? The pet shops do not sell anything that size.
I agree that lots of people don’t have adequate enclosures. That being said, a 2 year old herman does not need a 4x8 enclosure yet.

Citron Elegans

PA
Depends on the size of the two year old, doesn't it?
I mean if you are super setting them and trying to decrease their lifespan and quality of life sure I guess a herman could be big enough that it absolutely needs a 4x8 that soon, or its the largest herman ever.