Does orchid bark hold humidity well? Baby sulcata

Hanksmom89

Location (City and/or State)
Wayne MI
Hey Tort peeps ☺️ So Bill is doing much better. He’s eating every day and still prefers to hide most of the time and sleep but you guys helped me realize thats normal. He’s a baby!! And he’s a growing little man. His substrate is a mix between repti bark, fine coconut fiber and Pete moss jungle mix soil. 70% repti bark and equal parts 15% for the soil mixtures. It’s not holding humidity as well as I’d like. I pour warm water on it and mix it every morning and it stays between 50 and 60 but I want it higher for him. Also I know it will mold faster. For orchid bark users does it hold humidity well? Do you soak it daily? Does it mold quick?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
“Orchid bark” absorbs lots of water, especially if you soak it first in a bucket of water then add into your enclosure. Once totally soaked it slowly releases moisture into the air space & increases your humidity - but the key question, do you have a lid on your enclosure?

It’s not prone to mold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tort peeps ☺️ So Bill is doing much better. He’s eating every day and still prefers to hide most of the time and sleep but you guys helped me realize thats normal. He’s a baby!! And he’s a growing little man. His substrate is a mix between repti bark, fine coconut fiber and Pete moss jungle mix soil. 70% repti bark and equal parts 15% for the soil mixtures. It’s not holding humidity as well as I’d like. I pour warm water on it and mix it every morning and it stays between 50 and 60 but I want it higher for him. Also I know it will mold faster. For orchid bark users does it hold humidity well? Do you soak it daily? Does it mold quick?
Sol and moss should never be used for tortoise substrate.

As Mark explained, O bark absorbs a lot of water and slowly releases it. You need at least 3-4 inches of it and you have to dump water into it to keep humidity up. How much water and how often varies tremendously from enclosure to enclosure and seasonally too.

O bark does not mold or grow fungus. It resists that, and that is why we use it.

To keep humidity up you must use a closed chamber with the heating and lighting contained inside. An open top, and even a covered top with the heat lamps outside, will create a chimney effect and draw all your heat and humidity up and out.

Hanksmom89

Wayne MI
Sol and moss should never be used for tortoise substrate.

As Mark explained, O bark absorbs a lot of water and slowly releases it. You need at least 3-4 inches of it and you have to dump water into it to keep humidity up. How much water and how often varies tremendously from enclosure to enclosure and seasonally too.

O bark does not mold or grow fungus. It resists that, and that is why we use it.

To keep humidity up you must use a closed chamber with the heating and lighting contained inside. An open top, and even a covered top with the heat lamps outside, will create a chimney effect and draw all your heat and humidity up and out.
Would u happen to have a picture showing what your explaining?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would u happen to have a picture showing what your explaining?
Yes: