Does she hate her new enclosure?

laymanh

Location (City and/or State)
PHOENIX
I need some help, I'm a new Russian Tortoise owner and my female tortoise is now spending all day trying to escape her new enclosure. I just put her in this new enclosure this Saturday the 24th. I used to house her a 40 gallon glass terrarium and after a while I knew that was too small even with all the climbing and hiding spot I provided. So I bought her a rabbit hutch because I didn't have the time to try to construct a tortoise table on my own. The hutch is 40" long, 23.5" deep and 25" high. It has a large built in hide on one end and a built in ramp that leads to top of it. I put another little house up there as well as her basking area. She has the ramp and several other climbs and 3 total hides with coconut fiber substrate. Currently I only have a ceramic heating element for her basking area and have a uvb set up on the way. The hutch is raised about 4 or 5 inches off the ground on wheels. Most of the enclosure is solid wood and she can't see through it, there is one door in the front that has a plexiglass window for her to see through. Ever since I moved her from her tank to the hutch she spends all day scratching at the walls and trying to get climb out. I've only had her since the 9th of July 2021 and even when I first brought her home the first few days were spent eating and hiding, she spent a little time trying to escape in the tank but not like this new enclosure. From the most she wakes up to the most she finally settles down for bed she is desperately trying to escape. Does she does need time to adjust? Does she not like that she can't see out or should I cover the window? Is it the lack of UVB? Is the hutch too big, does she not feel safe? She is not eating much and won't let me hand feed anymore. I'm afraid she is going to hurt herself trying to escape and constant noise is grating on my nerves. What do I do? I also have a few other items coming to modify the enclosure. A ramp for her to slide down and climb on and a play pen so she can leave her enclosure to explore a little bit. The hutch is also positioned next to our hallway where my family walks to and from the kitchen and living room all day, could it be the high traffic spot that is unnerving her?

IMG_2048.jpgIMG_2049.jpg

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I need some help, I'm a new Russian Tortoise owner and my female tortoise is now spending all day trying to escape her new enclosure. I just put her in this new enclosure this Saturday the 24th. I used to house her a 40 gallon glass terrarium and after a while I knew that was too small even with all the climbing and hiding spot I provided. So I bought her a rabbit hutch because I didn't have the time to try to construct a tortoise table on my own. The hutch is 40" long, 23.5" deep and 25" high. It has a large built in hide on one end and a built in ramp that leads to top of it. I put another little house up there as well as her basking area. She has the ramp and several other climbs and 3 total hides with coconut fiber substrate. Currently I only have a ceramic heating element for her basking area and have a uvb set up on the way. The hutch is raised about 4 or 5 inches off the ground on wheels. Most of the enclosure is solid wood and she can't see through it, there is one door in the front that has a plexiglass window for her to see through. Ever since I moved her from her tank to the hutch she spends all day scratching at the walls and trying to get climb out. I've only had her since the 9th of July 2021 and even when I first brought her home the first few days were spent eating and hiding, she spent a little time trying to escape in the tank but not like this new enclosure. From the most she wakes up to the most she finally settles down for bed she is desperately trying to escape. Does she does need time to adjust? Does she not like that she can't see out or should I cover the window? Is it the lack of UVB? Is the hutch too big, does she not feel safe? She is not eating much and won't let me hand feed anymore. I'm afraid she is going to hurt herself trying to escape and constant noise is grating on my nerves. What do I do? I also have a few other items coming to modify the enclosure. A ramp for her to slide down and climb on and a play pen so she can leave her enclosure to explore a little bit. The hutch is also positioned next to our hallway where my family walks to and from the kitchen and living room all day, could it be the high traffic spot that is unnerving her?

View attachment 329827View attachment 329828
Tortoises definitely do not like change and they take awhile to be comfortable in their new environment. Having the enclosure in such a high traffic area absolutely could be upsetting her, especially if her enclosure was in a more quiet place before. The enclosure is definitely not too big. I actually feel it’s still way too small, which could be another reason why she’s climbing the walls. Having the ramp to the upper area has taken away a lot of walking space. Tortoises generally walk around the perimeter of their enclosure, but I don’t see a lot of walking room in yours. The size of the hutch is what we recommend for a tiny hatchling for about the 1st year. A close to full grown or full grown Russian needs an enclosure that is at least 4ft x 8ft. They do a lot of walking in a day in order to aid in digesting their food, amongst other things. The inside of the enclosure looks quite dark, but I think the UV light will help brighten it up enough. I think it’s worth trying to cover up that plexiglass on the bottom too, if she’s able to see out of it.

How old is your tortoise? I’d love to see a picture of her if you’re ok with sharing one.

Incase you haven’t seen it, here’s a link to the best care sheet for your tortoise.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I agree with @Krista S, much too small for a grown adult Russian, we are currently about to start the construction process of a roughly 5x5 ft enclosure for my 5 inch Russian. What you can do, and what many people do, is take a hutch or tortoise box, remove the end, and attach another one and secure them in the middle, for a 40” I would even recommend adding two on to the one You have (;

TaylorTortoise

Abington

I would add a lot of substrate. Tortoises need their places to borrow. Especially russians.

TaylorTortoise

Abington

I actually really like this set up with the level. Where did you get the cage?

TaylorTortoise

Abington

I would switch out that water bowl because it makes it hard to get in it for water. It’s not a cat and it can’t bend its neck like dogs and cats can. The bowl should be leveled in the substrate easy to get in an out and see for them.

TaylorTortoise

Abington

One thing I do notice you need to add is another lamp. One lamp should be for UVB one for basking.

laymanh

PHOENIX
Tortoises definitely do not like change and they take awhile to be comfortable in their new environment. Having the enclosure in such a high traffic area absolutely could be upsetting her, especially if her enclosure was in a more quiet place before. The enclosure is definitely not too big. I actually feel it’s still way too small, which could be another reason why she’s climbing the walls. Having the ramp to the upper area has taken away a lot of walking space. Tortoises generally walk around the perimeter of their enclosure, but I don’t see a lot of walking room in yours. The size of the hutch is what we recommend for a tiny hatchling for about the 1st year. A close to full grown or full grown Russian needs an enclosure that is at least 4ft x 8ft. They do a lot of walking in a day in order to aid in digesting their food, amongst other things. The inside of the enclosure looks quite dark, but I think the UV light will help brighten it up enough. I think it’s worth trying to cover up that plexiglass on the bottom too, if she’s able to see out of it.

How old is your tortoise? I’d love to see a picture of her if you’re ok with sharing one.

Incase you haven’t seen it, here’s a link to the best care sheet for your tortoise.

I’m not actually sure how old she is because I forgot to ask the pet store when I got her. She’s about 4-5 inches long right now and I haven’t weighed her yet either. I was planning on add a play pen on the outside of her hutch because there is a door on one side that unlatches to become a ramp and I was going to buy some more climbs and hid for out there. I don’t plan on keeping her in the spot she is in because they play pen won’t fit there.

laymanh

PHOENIX

I also kind of thought of either moving the ramp all the way to the side or to the middle because she does try to go under it to the other side but can’t get through the little gap

laymanh

PHOENIX

I actually also made some more changes after I posted that picture. The ramp is still in the same space but I was afraid the build in hide is too large for her so I moved the little house inside the hide so she a more secure place to hunker down. I also move all the stuff under the main ramp up to the top for climbing and let the cork and hubba hut where the were. I didn’t realize tortoises like to walk the perimeter I had assumed she wanted more things to do like climbing and hiding.

laymanh

PHOENIX

7CE67A59-7A42-4291-AC3C-1E4EFD21CE68.jpeg1FBD1D78-8C61-447B-9FC2-96E4490AF493.jpeg

Here’s it looks like now, I covered the plexiglass and that seemed to immediately calm her down I also put the little house inside the built in hide to give a more secure space to burrow and sleep.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m not actually sure how old she is because I forgot to ask the pet store when I got her. She’s about 4-5 inches long right now and I haven’t weighed her yet either. I was planning on add a play pen on the outside of her hutch because there is a door on one side that unlatches to become a ramp and I was going to buy some more climbs and hid for out there. I don’t plan on keeping her in the spot she is in because they play pen won’t fit there.
If she’s from a chain pet store, then those are almost always sub adult to adult aged tortoises that are wild caught. This could also be the reason for her trying to get out, because she’s trying to get back “home”. With that said though, Russians are known to be crafty little escape artists. Definitely add extra space for her ASAP. She needs the equivalent of about 4 of those hutches to thrive. You should be aiming for 4 feet by 8 feet for the enclosure size. For now though, I like the changes that you’ve made in the hutch. It’s a lot less cluttered and gives her a little bit more room to wander. That’s great that covering the plexiglass has already made a difference. Hopefully she will can be a little more calm until you can figure out how to give her more space. You mentioned in another post that you thought she would prefer more things to do and climb and places to hide. She would like that a lot, which is another reason why it’s so important to get an appropriate sized enclosure sorted out sooner than later so she can have everything she needs to be content, healthy and thriving. I recommend reading that care sheet I linked in my first post to you. It may help make more sense of some things we are suggesting here on the forum. The care sheet was written by one of our members based on their many years of experience. You mentioned you’ve ordered a UV setup and mentioned a 10.0 reptisun bulb. I just wanted to mention that it’s important that it’s a T5 HO fluorescent 10.0 and not the CFL spiral looking bulb. There’s more info in the care sheet that talks about this too.

laymanh

PHOENIX
If she’s from a chain pet store, then those are almost always sub adult to adult aged tortoises that are wild caught. This could also be the reason for her trying to get out, because she’s trying to get back “home”. With that said though, Russians are known to be crafty little escape artists. Definitely add extra space for her ASAP. She needs the equivalent of about 4 of those hutches to thrive. You should be aiming for 4 feet by 8 feet for the enclosure size. For now though, I like the changes that you’ve made in the hutch. It’s a lot less cluttered and gives her a little bit more room to wander. That’s great that covering the plexiglass has already made a difference. Hopefully she will can be a little more calm until you can figure out how to give her more space. You mentioned in another post that you thought she would prefer more things to do and climb and places to hide. She would like that a lot, which is another reason why it’s so important to get an appropriate sized enclosure sorted out sooner than later so she can have everything she needs to be content, healthy and thriving. I recommend reading that care sheet I linked in my first post to you. It may help make more sense of some things we are suggesting here on the forum. The care sheet was written by one of our members based on their many years of experience. You mentioned you’ve ordered a UV setup and mentioned a 10.0 reptisun bulb. I just wanted to mention that it’s important that it’s a T5 HO fluorescent 10.0 and not the CFL spiral looking bulb. There’s more info in the care sheet that talks about this too.
I got her from a local pet store in Phoenix not pet smart or petco, I did forget to ask if she was CB but her first enclosure the 40 gallon tank she didn’t spend nearly as much time trying to escape. And yes it is a t5 strip light not a spiral or compact bulb I read those aren’t good. I plan on putting a play pen outside her hutch so she can have more space to explore. I was planning on getting peed pads of something for the floor but perhaps I should get a shallow tub so I can put substrate in it.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I got her from a local pet store in Phoenix not pet smart or petco, I did forget to ask if she was CB but her first enclosure the 40 gallon tank she didn’t spend nearly as much time trying to escape. And yes it is a t5 strip light not a spiral or compact bulb I read those aren’t good. I plan on putting a play pen outside her hutch so she can have more space to explore. I was planning on getting peed pads of something for the floor but perhaps I should get a shallow tub so I can put substrate in it.
Welcome to the forum. You sound like you've got a lot going on, & new tort ownership can be overwhelming. Calm yourself. This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners & advisers. You've got this. Welcome!!

Lady Boxsworth

NEW CASTLE
There is not enough room. I agree as well, change can cause stress. Plus a tortoise should not be in a all glass enclosure. A small viewing window is ok but not a full view. A lot of tortoises like to climb as well as burrow. Keep an eye on tipping and make sure he/she can right itself back on all fours. If its stuck too long it can possibly suffocate. Imagine being on your chest with someone your body weight sitting on your back.