does size matter ?

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
ok, probably caught your attention by the name of the thread lol, but I was wondering if it mattered how large your uvb tube was so long as its mounted at the right height?

I have 6ft enclosure with a 18inch HO light. It lights up the enclosure fine, but should the uvb be spread over a greater area or is it all about placement at that point?

Thanks!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
LOL, it worked on me! It would depend on the species. Is it a forest dwelling or open desert animal?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hahahaha ? i wrote that, then thought about it, laughed and decided to keep the title

Well, right now its my redfoot, but soon I'll get that size for my leopard too. Both are 18inch HO zoo med tubes, I just didnt know if I needed to buy like the 36 inch or something like that or if I placed it over his food where he'll spend a good amount of time if that was sufficient

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I mostly keep terrestrial forest turtle species and would venture to say that a redfoot is very similar in UVB requirements, which isn't very high. If the light was mounted as you said, in a highly frequented area it should be fine. A leopard would need much more! Do you have a UV meter to measure output and help determine light mounting height? I have a Solarmeter 6.5 and find it well worth the investment, one of the best spends I have made.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I mostly keep terrestrial forest turtle species and would venture to say that a redfoot is very similar in UVB requirements, which isn't very high. If the light was mounted as you said, in a highly frequented area it should be fine. A leopard would need much more! Do you have a UV meter to measure output and help determine light mounting height? I have a Solarmeter 6.5 and find it well worth the investment, one of the best spends I have made.

I dont have one yet, but I plan to get one during tax return ?

I borrowed one from my nanas friend who did solar panels when I first hooked them up lol

My leopard is in a 4ftx2ft enclosure currently since he still fits into the palm of my hand and is a baby with the 18inch HO and thats what I was worried about when I get him the larger enclosure. I figured he'd need the bigger one, but wasn't 100%. Its easy enough gotten, I just wanted to make sure if I needed to get them BOTH a new one.

The redfoots food saucer is almost directly under it and shes a pig. She stays there a while ?

Thanks for the input!!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Solarmeter started offering a 6.5R which according to @Tom, is the same as the 6.5 with a different sticker on it, helping to focus readings in on reptile UVB needs. I ordered one before I read about it being the same as the 6.5 but haven't received it yet. Shipping in the "Time of Covid" has become spotty. I figure if one is great, two would be even better and help determine if an older unit needs re-calibration.

Relic

Here
UV tube...that's what we're calling it now?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
UV tube...that's what we're calling it now?
Hahaha hey! I'm used to explaining things to kids! ? my neices are constantly asking me what things are about my torts and they are young ? they are in the whats this? Whats that? Phase lol

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Solarmeter started offering a 6.5R which according to @Tom, is the same as the 6.5 with a different sticker on it, helping to focus readings in on reptile UVB needs. I ordered one before I read about it being the same as the 6.5 but haven't received it yet. Shipping in the "Time of Covid" has become spotty. I figure if one is great, two would be even better and help determine if an older unit needs re-calibration.

If you remember you should let me know ? i want to order one so bad! Just so many other things during this crazy time I need to get in order lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your Redfoot could pretty much go without UVB too. Just a couple hours a week outside is all they need. Mine go the entire winter, 3+months without it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
ok, probably caught your attention by the name of the thread lol, but I was wondering if it mattered how large your uvb tube was so long as its mounted at the right height?

I have 6ft enclosure with a 18inch HO light. It lights up the enclosure fine, but should the uvb be spread over a greater area or is it all about placement at that point?

Thanks!

I think ideally the UVB should be over/limited to the basking area and paired with the heat source. Heat plays a role in both the D3 process and in the animals ability to self regulate. Personally, I'd keep that area to 1/3 or so of an indoor enclosure

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I think ideally the UVB should be over/limited to the basking area and paired with the heat source. Heat plays a role in both the D3 process and in the animals ability to self regulate. Personally, I'd keep that area to 1/3 or so of an indoor enclosure
In the leopards enclosure its on the side by the basking area with the rhp in the middle and an led on the other side for brightness, the redfoots is in the middle between her 2 CHE's