Does this female box's behavior normal?against male.

Alex.park

Location (City and/or State)
Korea

I have been kept my Female eastern box turtle for more than 5 yrs. (she now 5yrs + a )

And recently got Male Eastern box turtle 3weeks. (possibly more than 8yrs)

Because my female weight is far more heavier than male, i let them in one Enclouser.

Problem happen when their first mating finished.

Male keep chasing female, and Female suddenly attack male..

Should i keeping them together?
now they seems ok, male go dig under ground and female roaming around as before.

both of them are well eats pallets and vegies.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
they appear to be in a confined space ? I personally would separate them , that can't be healthy for them ...........

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I have box turtles also. The females will only be interested in mating one time each year. She will attack to get him to leave her alone. Keep them seperate (except the one time per year if you want them to mate) to avoid injuries.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
can I just add then whenever you get a new tortoise or turtle, you should keep them separated for a few weeks if not longer to ensure they are healthy and don't get the others sick. I understand you were probably excited about the idea of breeding and having baby box turtles, but having healthy box turtles is more important, babies and breeding takes time, no need to rush it.

my two cents, about them being housed together

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
The space is just too small. They need a lot more space and Like above mention the female Will attCk the male when she's over. The breeding. More hides and more space helps a lot. Or keep males away from females

Kyle