Does UV need to cover entire enclosure

Rusky

Location (City and/or State)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
I'm about to add a square to my rectangular RT enclosure to make an L shape. Do I need another UVB strip light for that portion as well, or can I just use a regular strip light to keep it bright?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No it doesn't. If you can or you want too then yes it is okay to do so.
If the tort tends to stay in an end where the uv isn't, then it would be best to have the majority covered.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
No it doesn't. If you can or you want too then yes it is okay to do so.
If the tort tends to stay in an end where the uv isn't, then it would be best to have the majority covered.
Thanks. His eating rock is directly under it and it would cover the long part of the L, so I think he should be okay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A nice compromise would be to use a ZooMed 10.0 tube. These make nice, bright, well-balanced light, but unless you mount the bulb very close, you won't get much UV from it. I like to use these bulbs just for light.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
A nice compromise would be to use a ZooMed 10.0 tube. These make nice, bright, well-balanced light, but unless you mount the bulb very close, you won't get much UV from it. I like to use these bulbs just for light.
That's actually what I'm using for my UV, mounted at 10 inches at your suggestion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's actually what I'm using for my UV, mounted at 10 inches at your suggestion.
How do you like the "quality" of the light you get from your bulb?

If you mount another one on the new leg, you can mount it at the same height if you want the UV, or you can mount it higher and not worry about the UV since you've got it covered with your original bulb. I'd mount the new bulb in the current fixture and use the current bulb in the new fixture over the new section.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
How do you like the "quality" of the light you get from your bulb?

If you mount another one on the new leg, you can mount it at the same height if you want the UV, or you can mount it higher and not worry about the UV since you've got it covered with your original bulb. I'd mount the new bulb in the current fixture and use the current bulb in the new fixture over the new section.
The light is very natural-looking and bright, thanks for the suggestion. What's the reason for switching the new and old fixtures and bulbs?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The light is very natural-looking and bright, thanks for the suggestion. What's the reason for switching the new and old fixtures and bulbs?

Since your current bulb has some age on it, and the fixture is mounted correctly to meet your tortoises UV needs with that bulb, I'd put the newer fresher bulb in that spot. Maximum UV for your tortoise from this newer bulb.

The older bulb might still be good and working, but if you mount the newer fixture higher up, it won't matter how much UV the older bulb is, or isn't, making, since you are just using it for light.

If the new fixture will also be mounted at 10 inches high, then it doesn't matter which one goes where.