Does your tortoise try to eat you?

vvildflower

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This is probably a really weird question, but do your tortoises obsess over trying to eat you? And not just accidentally nipping at your finger when you're hand feeding them. I mean do they ever just ignore the food and go right for your hand?
I hand feed my tortoise almost everytime I feed her since she honestly isn't that great at eating without help, and most of the time she immediately goes for my fingers! She just ignores the leaves and makes the face she makes everytime she's considering eating something (opens her mouth a little and boops the food with her nose to check it out) and follows my finger around when I move it away from impending doom. Just now, she left her food bowl and came all the way to the other side of the room to try to munch on my fingers!!
Is it just because the smell of food is stronger on my hands than on the actual food? Or maybe she thinks she's an omnivore? Or is she planning to eat me alive?
I included a cute photo of us snuggling just to show that she only becomes a violent bloodthirsty monster when she's hungry. IMG_20180414_204508503_LL.jpg

MickeyMouse

L'Assomption, Quebec, Canada
My tortoise usually never try to bite, she's really peacefull and I can easily touch her head and mouth. But recently I noticed that sometimes when I feed her by hand, she smell my finger and want to pick it.
I noticed it happens only after I washed my hands. I know tortoise have a very good sense of smell, it was curious why she wanted to taste the soap. Then this week I realized my handsoap and also my purell are aloe vera flavored, and tortoises love aloe vera, I got my answer!

I think it's not in taste for blood, but it's all about smell, your hands probably smell something tasteful for her ;)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
This is probably a really weird question, but do your tortoises obsess over trying to eat you?
Always, all of them.
Hardly surprising, Testudo species ARE omnivorous after all and fingers look quite similar to fat worms. :p

vvildflower

Texas
My tortoise usually never try to bite, she's really peacefull and I can easily touch her head and mouth. But recently I noticed that sometimes when I feed her by hand, she smell my finger and want to pick it.
I noticed it happens only after I washed my hands. I know tortoise have a very good sense of smell, it was curious why she wanted to taste the soap. Then this week I realized my handsoap and also my purell are aloe vera flavored, and tortoises love aloe vera, I got my answer!

I think it's not in taste for blood, but it's all about smell, your hands probably smell something tasteful for her ;)
Ahh I never thought of the soap scent! Yeah, my tort is very peaceful too. The only time she tries to bite me is when I'm feeding her, so I guess my fingers look like big juicy succulent leaves, plus they smell like my basil soap!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Curtis_

Kansas
Yes my tortoise does the same thing. I'm almost positive in my case he just thinks my fingers are big ol worms and he's not yet had the chance to actually eat a worm so he's looking to get a quick taste. I can touch him and pick him up and hold him just fine but when I'm feeding him he always tries to come after my fingers first.

Perhaps he's just angry that it takes me so long to set down all of his food. Or maybe he's protective over the food I'm holding. But I'm pretty sure it's the smell of our hands, or them thinking it's a worm. Glad I'm not the only one haha :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Manouria always used to try to eat me. I used to have to get up at zero dark thirty to get all my animals taken care of before going to work. The bird flight was in the Manouria yard, and as I was standing there taking care of the birds, the biggest Manouria always tried to take a bite out of my legs.

Rhea

Missouri
My Russian goes straight for my fingers every time. He will bite and try to rip it like and piece of greens. He can bite pretty good and hard. I have tried to cut down on hand feeding because he got used to it and plus I want that behavior to stop (the biting) that is. If he sees my fingers now or me he runs to “see” if I have anything for him and he’s not so quick to munch on me. He smells it and thinks for a second and then he chomps down! I think maybe he thinks it’s a game or maybe I conditioned him. I’m not sure but he gets a reaction from me every time so I’m thinking it’s that! I don’t know how smart tortoises are. Some say they not but I still think you condition anything with food!

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Two of my eight Russian torts do that. A small female and a larger female. Sometimes I feel it's a dominant thing only because I see them do it to the others once in awhile. I have never seen them eat any worms or insects so I almost feel like they're showing their domonace to me maybe.

vvildflower

Texas
awww your baby is adorable, and I'm glad my tort isn't the only one![emoji23] my tort also thinks for a second before trying to eat my fingers. I guess she's trying to decide whether these big, strange looking leaves are worth eating or not!
I agree, Russians certainly are very smart when it comes to food!

MickeyMouse

L'Assomption, Quebec, Canada
Ahh I never thought of the soap scent! Yeah, my tort is very peaceful too. The only time she tries to bite me is when I'm feeding her, so I guess my fingers look like big juicy succulent leaves, plus they smell like my basil soap!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I would not be surprised the basil soap has a tasteful smell for your tortoise ;)

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
Over the past year my Ibera Greek has decided it needs to bite my shoes. All the time. Sometimes I’ll feel a tugging on my jeans and find her hanging on them. Not sure why but she’s persistent. She’s about 5 years old. Maybe it’s a tortoise “teenager” thing.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Over the past year my Ibera Greek has decided it needs to bite my shoes. All the time. Sometimes I’ll feel a tugging on my jeans and find her hanging on them. Not sure why but she’s persistent. She’s about 5 years old. Maybe it’s a tortoise “teenager” thing.
It's more an adult tortoise thing. You are a rival in her territory she wants to chase away. ;)

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
My Russian does the same thing! Even when I'm not feeding her... I think she associates me with food. :D

EdMurphy

Minnesota
Yep, my Russian does the same thing. She drops anything she's doing to run over and go after my fingers. Don't matter if I have the food sent or soap on my hands, I can come in from the garage or wood shop and she'll do it.
I position my fingers at an angle so she can't get me in her mouth then she gives up trying to bite and just follows me around pawing at my hands.
Pretty sure it's just her letting me know who's the boss.
Her table is in my living room and some times when she's in a mood she''ll climb up on a rock so she can see out and will stand there and watch me.