Dog attacked my 8mo. Sulcata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Welcome to the forum Chris. Seems like a good time to bring up the point of overlapping safety protocols. A simple cover on the enclosure would have prevented this. Taller dog fencing around the tortoises area would be an added measure of security for these "just in case" moments. Here are some examples:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

Sorry to see this happen, and I hope your tortoise recovers.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Chris, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum despite the unfortunate circumstances.
How's the poor tort today?
They're very resilient creatures so there's every chance of a full recovery, though he'll be rather nervous for a while.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
So sorry to hear of this, I know how bad I would feel if an accident like this happened to Speedy .

Chrisplus4

So should I use the coconut oil or not? Or should I only put it in he wounds?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Everyone will have a different opinion on this highly debated subject.

I would not use any in this case. Doesn't make me right or wrong. Its just not something I would do.

Keith D.

Arizona
Hiya Chris, the choice is def yours. The EVCO won't do any harm so as I see it, it can only do good, many use it and many have seen the good it can do. Personally I use it, but only on the shell not the skin. Hope this helps :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
I used triple antibiotic cream ( made for people) OTC. On a small wound for wild tortoise once,
Good fortune in the recovery He will most likely be just fine :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
IMO the coconut oil would prevent bacterial infection from small woulds / openings you can barely see. It has anti- bacterial properties. Also, if you are keeping him inside for awhile the EVCO helps prevent the drying out of shell from lamps.
Take a look at the coconut oil thread in Debatable Topics and make up your own mind.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I wouldn't use it for this application. I use it on healthy shells to keep them healthy, but for a compromised shell like this one, I'd use the chlorhexidine.

ShannonC

South Carolina
I'm with Yvonne......I would definitely use the chlorhexidine in this situation. He may seem fine now, and hopefully will be fine, but it's better to prevent an infection than to treat it after it develops!! Dog and cat saliva contain all kinds of bacteria that could cause infections in our torts. And the old saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" definitely applies here!! You can buy a small bottle of chlorhexidine at Tractor Supply in the area where they sell livestock wormers and medicines. Best of luck to you and your tort!

And welcome to Tortoise Forum!!

Chrisplus4

Well out little guy took a turn for the worst. He is laying around, has not eaten in two days. I soak him and he won't hold his head up. I don't know he is not well. Trama was too much I guess!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well out little guy took a turn for the worst. He is laying around, has not eaten in two days. I soak him and he won't hold his head up. I don't know he is not well. Trama was too much I guess!
Don't give up. Take him to the vet now. Keep the temperatures up. Keep soaking him.

Chrisplus4

I am taking him in the morning. I soaked him and gave him some greens and he has not moved. He is still alert. I will leave the lamps on to keep him warm. I already sent my vet a text telling him I'll be there in the morning. He said he can get him some nutrition and fluids and get him an antibiotic in case there is an infection. Thanks for the prayers!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am taking him in the morning. I soaked him and gave him some greens and he has not moved. He is still alert. I will leave the lamps on to keep him warm. I already sent my vet a text telling him I'll be there in the morning. He said he can get him some nutrition and fluids and get him an antibiotic in case there is an infection. Thanks for the prayers!
Good luck in the morning.
Thanks for keeping us informed.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I am so sorry to hear about your tort's ordeal. I think couple of questions come to mind: 1) how big is your dog in relation to your tortoise? My concern is the size/power of her jaws/bite 2) will there be any evidence of significant trauma in next 24-48 hrs? In people the true bruises sometimes take that long to come to the surface. I wouldn't even worry about cosmetics of battle scars. My worry would be possible internal injuries (i.e. crush, blunt force trauma type of damage to structures or organs). If this was my pet, I'd take her/him to my reptile vet and ask for thorough physical and xray. Again, I hate that this has happened in your family. And no, I'd never pass quick judgment on you or anybody else. Crap happens to the best of us. We need to learn to be tolerant of forgiving of each other
Hi, Chris. I am so sorry if I was a "Cassandra" in my initial post. Remember me worrying about what would happen in next couple of days after the initial trauma? My worry is : 1) infection or 2) slow internal bleed or 3) internal organ damage that he's no longer compensating for and starts showing symptoms now. I'm glad you have the vet that can see him first thing in am. Please keep us posted and good luck.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
This is what is sad about dog attacks a tortoise maimed or worse and a dog blamed for being a dog. Hope your little guy makes it.