dog bit tortoise

hi everyone. I need some urgent advice!! Our puppy bit Hendry while I was at work. He is not using his back legs... please have a look at the photos... the shell is broken in the front at the bottom.. has stab wound in middle.. soaking and bathing him now.20151111_161434.jpg20151111_161434.jpg 20151111_161407.jpg

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
hi everyone. I need some urgent advice!! Our puppy bit Hendry while I was at work. He is not using his back legs... please have a look at the photos... the shell is broken in the front at the bottom.. has stab wound in middle.. soaking and bathing him now.View attachment 155316View attachment 155316 View attachment 155317

I think you should go to the vet! I'll link some people to advise you since I'm no expert. @Tom @Yvonne G@dmmj
Maybe start a new thread so more people can see this and help you?

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There might be some nerve damage, or damage to the spine. Your vet should be able to help you.

Dosu

Kuwait
Phoned my cat vet and got some advice... will get an antibiotic tomorrow

If I were you I would look for a reptile vet ASAP, even if he's far away. I mean, I'm no expert but HE HAS HOLES IN HIS SHELL AND IT'S CRACKED REALLY BADLY!!! I really wouldn't wait nor trust the cat vet.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do when no immediate medical help is available. I get it.

Several things are immediately important
- the wounds need to be flushed out with water. Sterile is best
- bedadine solution in water will help stop infection. But it has a drying effect so you can't use it numerous times.
- this is a very young one. The good of that is if he survives he has time in development to heal , the bad is he is more fragile.
- keep heat up to 85f round the clock. With the stress and over work of his healing system he is more susceptible to other infections.
- put him in a Steril environment. I would set up a " hospital tank " for him with new clean orchard bark. Keep water dish clean. Do not put him outside in the dirt.
- you may need to place food right I front of him for a time till his mobility gets better. He needs to eat and drink.
- keep soaking daily. Warm water 85-95f.
- you can use triple antibiotic cream on the open places. I would.

All these things can be purchased at a drug store w/0 Rx.

A vet might give an anti biotic shot. But there are dangers to this also. It is a judgment call.

The torts body must heal itself. No matter what. Supportive care , as stress free as possible and time are your best hope.

Even nerve damage can repair. No way to know.

I hope for the best for him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
with dragging the back legs, more than likely either nerve damage could be spinal damage. I will go to a vet any vet right now to get xrays and maybe blood work done to watch for infection. A reptile would be ideal but right now I think any vet will do. the good news is tortoises are survivors and they're designed to survive attacks like this. I would go to a vet anything right now to get xrays and blood work Plus whatever else the vet suggest but no vitamin shots please.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would do exactly what Alaskamike has outlined. I would find a good reptile vet. In a week or so, I'd he is still not using his legs, go for X-Ray. Consistent warm temps in the hospital tank. Don't worry about a basking area. Keep the whole thing 85-90, 24 hours a day. Daily soaks and apply the antibiotic cream. Good luck.

Thank you. The vet told me to use honey. She has contacted a reptile vet in SA. He will be going in tomorrow and i will get an antibiotic. I was also told to not soak him and keep him dry... i am hoping for the best.. i do not have a heater for him as he lives outdoors. I have him inside at the moment any suggestions on how to keep him warm???

He seems to have a runny tummy. When i applied the honey the morning his tummy went it was runny/slimy... i am so worried about him but do believe he will be fine..

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Dry is wrong. Your vet is not a tortoise vet. I would find a different vet. When my tortoise suffered dog bites, I did almost exactly as Alaskamike outlined above. My tortoise survived and is doing great. Honey may have some useful properties, I don't know. I do know that antibiotic cream works. This baby needs to be hydrated and warm.

Hendry seems to be doing good:) can i give him some treats? Tomato/cucumber? He loves lettace but i have heard its bad for them?? Does anyone know about deworming your tortoise?