Dog bite

kpj

5 Year Member
hello I'm new to the tortoise form. I have a two year old Sulcata Tortoise he got out last week Monday and was returned on Sat. The neighbors dog used him as a chew toy. Seems to be fine, moving and eating as normal, but has damage to one of his marginal scute and under plate. How serious is this and What should i do? Shoot I'm trying to post a picture but having trouble doing it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hard to say without pics.

I use tinypic.com for pics. Upload any size pics for free with no account or any hassles. Then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
to post a picture just drag the picture file onto the reply box. itll work if youre on a computer or laptop, it wont work on a phone or tablet

Reactions: kpj

kpj

5 Year Member
IMG_20140823_114957_167.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140823_114957_167.jpg
    IMG_20140823_114957_167.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47

kpj

5 Year Member
Yay I did it, How serious does this look?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While it probably hurt like hell, it's really not too bad. It would be a good idea to have a vet remove that piece of loose shell under the arm so the tortoise isn't continually moving it while he's walking, but regular first aid is all that's necessary. Also you'll have to keep him indoors until its healed up a bit more so flies don't lay eggs on the wound.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It's not horrible, and could heal up just fine. I feel bad for him though, how did he get out?

Reactions: kpj

kpj

5 Year Member
Thanks, he got out because is crafty .We have an outdoor enclosure in our back yard and then fully enclosed back yard. It was quite a feat that he managed to get passed all the security measures. . We've made improvements and still planning for her larger permanent enclosure