Dog food and Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hey guys, I noticed that my dog eats the mazuri and my silly eats the dog food. Does any of them can get sick from it. Penny the sully likes dog food and my dog Blue eats Penny's mazuri. It's funny to see the eat next to each other.
Should I worry at all?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376601530.637517.jpg
I'm aware about dogs and tortoises. Blue is very, very mellow but I still supervise them just in case.

My loves:
Husband
2 dogs Blue (European hunt-mix) and Baxter (chiwinnie)
Penny (sulcata)

Last edited by a moderator:

krh11b23

5 Year Member
My dog also loves mazuri lol but he's a English bulldog and eats anything. As far as your tort eating dog food I wouldn't let him eat it

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Dog food has animal protein in it. Very, very bad for your sully so you shouldn't let him do it...EVER

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
I put a little warm water with my Mazuri and mush it into a consistency of wet dog food it is easier for my little guy to eat. He might like his food better that way - never hurts to give it a try :)

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
He gets it soft the same way she just likes to eat near my dog. It's pretty funny cause my dog doesn't eat his food. He waits till I give him treats but when Penny is near he eats his food right away. She is a great helper :0D

My loves:
Husband
2 dogs Blue (European hunt-mix) and Baxter (chiwinnie)
Penny (sulcata)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
My basenjis love the Mazuri. My Torts won't touch it. Freaks.

Sandy in Oregon

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Linzbragg said:
Dog food has animal protein in it. Very, very bad for your sully so you shouldn't let him do it...EVER

This is exactly right. Do not allow a tortoise to eat dog food!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not sure what species your tort is, but I've been told most torts should eat a very low protein diet. Too much protein causes kidney failure because they can't eliminate or process it fast enough. Also, dog foods may contain fillers, which could be bad for torts.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
The last post was correct. Sulcatas need low protein, high fiber diets. Soak the mazuri in water until it turns into nice, mushy pellet. I keep an old plastic cup with my tort stuff just for that, throw in the mazuri, fill the water up past the pellets because they'll absorb a lot of it, I usually wait about 5-10 mins (depending on how much I'm giving him), drain out the excess water, and serve it up; usually with some cactus leaf, dandelion leaves, clover, and/or grass.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Linzbragg said:
The last post was correct. Sulcatas need low protein, high fiber diets. Soak the mazuri in water until it turns into nice, mushy pellet. I keep an old plastic cup with my tort stuff just for that, throw in the mazuri, fill the water up past the pellets because they'll absorb a lot of it, I usually wait about 5-10 mins (depending on how much I'm giving him), drain out the excess water, and serve it up; usually with some cactus leaf, dandelion leaves, clover, and/or grass.

Thank you so much for your advise. I totally miss this post and I just saw it.

My loves:
Husband
dog "Blue" (European hunt-mix)
Penny (sulcata)

Status
Not open for further replies.