Dog house ramp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Can some of you who use a dog house as a hide, share how u made a ramp for your torts to enter.
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hinge on the bottom and when the door is lowered, it is the ramp. I don't have a picture, but if no one shares before tomorrow morning, I'll go get a picture.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
image.jpeg I hinged my door on top to make like a little roof over the ramp. I made a separate ramp so I could put sides on it.
Just make sure the angle isn't too steep and I used roof shingles for gripping or you can put small strips of wood across every so many inches.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I built up the ground in front of the house with gravel and soil. Eventually grass sprouted and it looked like it had always been there.
I would also consider a small, cement pad/ramp. A small, rough surface is beneficial for the nails.
Right now my houses are slightly sunk into the ground so that the entrances are flush at ground level.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use a little piece of board as a door lock, then when the door is open, I put that board in the back of the door in the space between the door and the night box.

ramp a.jpg ramp b.jpg ramp c.jpg ramp d.jpg

The tortoises don't fall off the edges because it's low enough for them to just step off onto the dirt.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings

Here's a pix of the entrance and ramp to our Sully's heated house. The nice oval bristle door mat provides the perfect grip for easy access.
image.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here is one of my sulcatas door, When I built the house I made the door opening bigger than needed for the tortoise. The door is insulated and hinged on the bottom and used as the ramp when open. I built an insulated panel to cover the large opening with a smaller entrance to sorta fit the tortoise and have enlarged this opening a couple times as he grew, it now measures 24 in wide x 17 in high. I remove the panel in summer I set it back up today just to get the pic. I use several layers of flaps for windbreaks.Picture 549 copywh3.jpg Picture 547 copywh2.jpg Picture 551 copywh1.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here is one of my sulcatas door, When I built the house I made the door opening bigger than needed for the tortoise. The door is insulated and hinged on the bottom and used as the ramp when open. I built an insulated panel to cover the large opening with a smaller entrance to sorta fit the tortoise and have enlarged this opening a couple times as he grew, it now measures 24 in wide x 17 in high. I remove the panel in summer I set it back up today just to get the pic. I use several layers of flaps for windbreaks.View attachment 175929 View attachment 175928 View attachment 175927

Hey Len, is that a little Box Turtle that was burrowed/hiding under Sully's ramp?

Barrysulcata

Uk
This is Barry's ramp to get out off shed through is dog flap outside

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 14

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Mine is a door with hinges on the bottom also ! It is a little steeper than many , so I just threw an old rug over it rather than make sides !

ramp.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Hey Len, is that a little Box Turtle that was burrowed/hiding under Sully's ramp?
Yes it is, around here you never know where or when a box turtle will show up. I have places where I put food for the easterns that the sulcatas can't get it,under the ramp is one of them.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is one of my houses.

Attachments

• 1473042404236.jpg
    1473042404236.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 1473042424270.jpg
    1473042424270.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 20

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here is one of my sulcatas door, When I built the house I made the door opening bigger than needed for the tortoise. The door is insulated and hinged on the bottom and used as the ramp when open. I built an insulated panel to cover the large opening with a smaller entrance to sorta fit the tortoise and have enlarged this opening a couple times as he grew, it now measures 24 in wide x 17 in high. I remove the panel in summer I set it back up today just to get the pic. I use several layers of flaps for windbreaks.View attachment 175929 View attachment 175928 View attachment 175927
It only took me about 8 years but I finally spruced Walkers house up a little.This is what it looks like now.Walkers repaired house.jpg Walkers repaired house 1.jpg Walkers repaired house 2.jpg

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I have had a dog house sitting in the corner of my yard for three years that my dogs absolutely refuse to use. At this point I assumed it was haunted. I took in two new sulcatas yesterday. Outside setting up areas for them and I thought I lost one already. Nope he found and claimed the dog house. At least somebody will use the stupid thing. With a little bit of work maybe it can be his I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.