Donald is 2 Years Old

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
He is doing fine. We didn't do anything special to celebrate the occasion, he's spoiled enough already. Some pics from yesterday and today.Picture 002.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 009.jpgPicture 010.jpgHe is 16 3/4 inches and weighs 26 pounds 10 ozPicture 003.jpg He must be content where he is. The barrier at one end of his enclosure is just a 5/4 x 6 decking board. and he hasn't gone over it yet.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
He is doing fine. We didn't do anything special to celebrate the occasion, he's spoiled enough already. Some pics from yesterday and today.View attachment 330222View attachment 330223View attachment 330224View attachment 330225He is 16 3/4 inches and weighs 26 pounds 10 ozView attachment 330226 He must be content where he is. The barrier at one end of his enclosure is just a 5/4 x 6 decking board. and he hasn't gone over it yet.
Donald is a big boy for being 2 yrs. old. Why would he want to go over the wall, your feeding him very well. My Sammy only weighed 9 pounds at 2 yrs. old, he didn't reach 25 pounds until 3 yrs. old. Great Job!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Donald is a big boy for being 2 yrs. old. Why would he want to go over the wall, your feeding him very well. My Sammy only weighed 9 pounds at 2 yrs. old, he didn't reach 25 pounds until 3 yrs. old. Great Job!
Thanks Warren, But don't cut yourself short you've done a great job raising Sammy. They all can grow at different rates.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Thanks Warren, But don't cut yourself short you've done a great job raising Sammy. They all can grow at different rates.
Thank you, I like the way you have your Cactus pad on that holder, going to have to copy that. Good idea, better them me having to hold it. Sammy has been holding just about 35 pounds for the last month or so, hoping he can hit about 45 to 50 pounds by his 4th birthday in December. He eats more in the fall and he will start showing a new growth line. Haven't measured him in awhile.

Attachments

• 20210729_160849.jpg
    20210729_160849.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210803_193054.jpg
    20210803_193054.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 21

Len B

10 Year Member!
Thank you, I like the way you have your Cactus pad on that holder, going to have to copy that. Good idea, better them me having to hold it. Sammy has been holding just about 35 pounds for the last month or so, hoping he can hit about 45 to 50 pounds by his 4th birthday in December. He eats more in the fall and he will start showing a new growth line. Haven't measured him in awhile.
It's just an upside down flower pot with a sturdy rod of some kind thru the hole in the bottom. Have you ever watched him as he's grazing in the yard on different grasses and weed? It looks like random grazing, but I don't think it is. He is seeking out certain items that he sense's that he needs. I think they have a sense of smell as good or better than a dog. I grow many types of opuntia and Walker won't eat some of them. I will hold a pad down for him and he run his nose up and down the edge of the pad and walks away. I'll go get a pad from a different plant and he eats it immediately. So I try to feed them what they want not just what I want them to eat. Walker has taught me a lot in the 25 years I've been watching him.