Done to death, buuuuuut

Franks_Ma

I know this topic has probably been done to death, but any help would be great. Got Frank just over a week and a half ago. I knew nothing about pyramiding until yesterday, then worried because Frank obviously has it. He has white growth lines, but definitely has the signs :/ he's about two and we know nothing about his prior history.
He's really active and eats well (I put calcium powder on his food weekly and try to vary his diet--he prefers Romaine though, hates kale, would probably stab someone for banana and mango), and has his light on for ~10-12hrs daily. I just feel really bad, and don't want him to be uncomfortable.
We're also going to start building him a new tank because he's currently in a 40gal--all they had, we're building a custom one...not super epic like some of the ones I've seen on here yet, but it'll be a lot bigger, he also gets let out in the house--supervised!--
Just want to be a good tortoise parent!

Attachments

• frank3.jpg
    frank3.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 40

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I know this topic has probably been done to death, but any help would be great. Got Frank just over a week and a half ago. I knew nothing about pyramiding until yesterday, then worried because Frank obviously has it. He has white growth lines, but definitely has the signs :/ he's about two and we know nothing about his prior history.
He's really active and eats well (I put calcium powder on his food weekly and try to vary his diet--he prefers Romaine though, hates kale, would probably stab someone for banana and mango), and has his light on for ~10-12hrs daily. I just feel really bad, and don't want him to be uncomfortable.
We're also going to start building him a new tank because he's currently in a 40gal--all they had, we're building a custom one...not super epic like some of the ones I've seen on here yet, but it'll be a lot bigger, he also gets let out in the house--supervised!--
Just want to be a good tortoise parent!
Hi there.

Keep him humid and hydrated and new growth will grow smoother. You can't do anything about old growth now. After a while you will see new growth growing at a different angle to the old growth. This will be where your care has kicked in.
What size is your Tortoise?
I have some badly pyramided redfoots and they are as happy as the others. :D
You should try feeding weeds too. Dandilions and plantains are some.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Torts come in all shapes due to husbandry. You can't do anything to fix the pyramiding, just take steps to assure that he has more smooth growth in the future.
Hydration (soaking, spraying, drinking, etc) and having good humidity for him are key. Also making sure he has a healthy balanced diet will address any other related issues that can come along with the lumps and bumps.

This is Vern, he is 8 and until this year he's never had humidity, soaks or anything resembling a proper upbringing - we are working on that now. I've only had him 5 months so I can't see any improvement yet.

p1365416358-3.jpg

Franks_Ma

Hi there.

Keep him humid and hydrated and new growth will grow smoother. You can't do anything about old growth now. After a while you will see new growth growing at a different angle to the old growth. This will be where your care has kicked in.
What size is your Tortoise?
I have some badly pyramided redfoots and they are as happy as the others. :D
You should try feeding weeds too. Dandilions and plantains are some.

He's close to 6in long. I keep him very humid, and he loves the water and soaks himself really regularly. We've got snow on the ground now, but I'll be sure to give him some dandelion when they're back. Thank you!

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Do not feel bad, you are doing the right things now and there is nothing you can do to reverse the pyramiding.

These torts can be so picky when it comes to food... sometimes i bury a little piece of strawberry under my guys greens.... sure enough, he will trample and kick everything aside for his little treat haha. Luckily, my RF will eat all types of greens as well as other veggies, squashes, and fruit. Variety is the key (as you will hear over and over on here) Try the purple kale if you can get it, maybe that will trick him? or swiss chard?