done with enclosure and night box but have question

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TX
Hello! I finally have finished her enclosure! Now I have a question during the winter, do you open the night box everyday even when it is really cold like below 40 degrees? I have all the heat panels and mat in her night box. She likes to poop in her box. How do you keep it clean? Did you put anything on the floor of the box? One more question, what do you do for humidity inside the box?

thumbnail-3.jpg thumbnail-2.jpg thumbnail-1.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello! I finally have finished her enclosure! Now I have a question during the winter, do you open the night box everyday even when it is really cold like below 40 degrees? I have all the heat panels and mat in her night box. She likes to poop in her box. How do you keep it clean? Did you put anything on the floor of the box? One more question, what do you do for humidity inside the box?View attachment 282004 View attachment 282005 View attachment 282006

I’m sure many will chime in, but I put in a nice layer of Cypress Mulch to about 3-4 inches or so. I keep the Kane mat pretty clean, so the mulch kind of tapers from higher levels to the mat. After a few excrements clump up in the mulch, i rake them out and toss in our compost pile.

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
Thank you for the reply! I was scared to put anything in there because the kane mat says to not have anything near the mat.(with in 10 feet! lol) The first thing my sulcata did when the mat was installed was to poop on it. LOL, But I was concerned with all the urine soaking into the wood. I clean it up when ever I see it and I check everyday. Just want this box to last a long time and want to make sure I am doing everything right!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're going to find that having the hinges at the bottom of the door is a big pain to keep them clean. The door to my radiata night box is frozen open because of the gunk that has packed into the hinges. I'm going to ask my tortoise partner to move the hinges to the side of the door next time he comes to visit. Then instead of the door being a ramp, you'll have to provide a brick or two as a ramp.

Do you have plans to add a tree or bush into the enclosure?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you for the reply! I was scared to put anything in there because the kane mat says to not have anything near the mat.(with in 10 feet! lol) The first thing my sulcata did when the mat was installed was to poop on it. LOL, But I was concerned with all the urine soaking into the wood. I clean it up when ever I see it and I check everyday. Just want this box to last a long time and want to make sure I am doing everything right!

Yes... i use a kane mat too. Our Sully drags some mulch 9nto the mat, but it’s not an issue. You just don’t want to bury your mat in mulch. Having a nice layer of mulch (100 % pure cypress) really makes it cozy. Also, i placed a spare/extra piece of plywood down on the floor thst is loose. Can easily replace that, but it’s a good extra layer of protection.

Our Sully comes inside for Winter, so will defer to @Tom or others to respond on opening at day when it’s cold outside.

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
You're going to find that having the hinges at the bottom of the door is a big pain to keep them clean. The door to my radiata night box is frozen open because of the gunk that has packed into the hinges. I'm going to ask my tortoise partner to move the hinges to the side of the door next time he comes to visit. Then instead of the door being a ramp, you'll have to provide a brick or two as a ramp.

Okay, good to know. I did put a piece of fake leather over the ramp where the hinges are so stuff does not get in there. I will see how long that lasts. Thanks!

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
Yes... i use a kane mat too. Our Sully drags some mulch 9nto the mat, but it’s not an issue. You just don’t want to bury your mat in mulch. Having a nice layer of mulch (100 % pure cypress) really makes it cozy. Also, i placed a spare/extra piece of plywood down on the floor thst is loose. Can easily replace that, but it’s a good extra layer of protection.

Our Sully comes inside for Winter, so will defer to @Tom or others to respond on opening at day when it’s cold outside.

I was thinking about putting some hard plastic on the bottom for easier clean up but she probably would not like that. The piece of wood is a good idea. Thanks!

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
I say yes let her come out. But you should put layers of vinyl or poly flaps at the door opening to hold the heat in and keep the cold air out while the door is open so she can warm up more quickly.

I could not find the vinyl flaps anywhere so I had to order them. They should be coming in the mail any day. Thanks!

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX

What kind of bush do you recommend that I put in her enclosure? I have wanted to but not sure what to plant.

Relic

Here
I'd consider a hardy hibiscus for the enclosure. Leaves & blooms are both edible and it looks like you probably have enough sun for it. Get one now if you can (keep it in the pot) and all the fertilizer / insecticide possibly used by the nursery will have time to dissipate before you plant it next spring.

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
I'd consider a hardy hibiscus for the enclosure. Leaves & blooms are both edible and it looks like you probably have enough sun for it. Get one now if you can (keep it in the pot) and all the fertilizer / insecticide possibly used by the nursery will have time to dissipate before you plant it next spring.

Thank you!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

I've had the same issues. I have gone to putting hinges on TOP of the door. Works really well and creates a cover over the door. I put a hook towards the bottom of the outside of the door, and a wire with loop at the end tied to above the door. When I open the door, I simply slip the loop on the wire onto the hook on the door and it holds it in place. I have a sliding gate latch on the side to lock the door closed.

IMG_0774.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What kind of bush do you recommend that I put in her enclosure? I have wanted to but not sure what to plant.
I really like the mallow and the rose of sharon. They bloom all summer and fall and constantly drop blooms for the tortoise to nibble on. They are very hardy and would do well in your area. Just get them started before you sulcata gets too big or he will mow them over before they get established. YOu can also protect them until they develop a good woody stem. The ones on either immediate side of my Burmese night box above is Rose of Sharon. The one on the far right is Mallow. The picture was early spring before they started blooming. I also use rosemary in my sulcata enclosures. It is about the only hardy plant I find that they leave alone. It grows well and provides nice shade cover. You can trim as it grows to any shape you desire. All of these plants grow quite quickly.

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
I've had the same issues. I have gone to putting hinges on TOP of the door. Works really well and creates a cover over the door. I put a hook towards the bottom of the outside of the door, and a wire with loop at the end tied to above the door. When I open the door, I simply slip the loop on the wire onto the hook on the door and it holds it in place. I have a sliding gate latch on the side to lock the door closed.

View attachment 282042
That is an awesome set up!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I forgot to add:

For my sulcatas, I never close them in their night box. I let them go in and out as desired. That has worked for me as all my sulcatas always go into the night box every night and use it consistently. On our cold winter days when it is overcast and the high is 45° for the day, they sometimes simply do not come out. Other days they may come graze for a while and go back in.

Because of this, I do use a larger night house and put some incandescent flood lights in there on a bit of a longer photoperiod for winter. My night house has a 40" ceiling height so that works and does not burn their carapace if they choose to bask in there. The lights create a longer photoperiod and actually serve to heat the whole house warmer in the daytime. I do a similar thing in my Burmese night box shown above for their extended spring/fall times while still outside. In that more conventional sized box I have one LED for light and another 65 watt flood aimed towards the top corner of the box (not down) The whole night box heats to about 90° in the daytime while this light is on. This gives them an extended photoperiod more in line with their home range for Myanmar, and a warmer daytime temp. I do lock my Burmese Stars in at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay, good to know. I did put a piece of fake leather over the ramp where the hinges are so stuff does not get in there. I will see how long that lasts. Thanks!
I have 14 doors with hinges like that. I've had to replace 3 hinges in 10 years. I just brush the stuff out of the way with my hand as I close the door each night.

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Because my sulcatas are used to living in high temperatures over half of the year, when it gets down to low 40's at night, I shut them in to retain the heat. It stays to about 70-75 then. If we are to have a freeze snap (yes, it does get below freezing in Phoenix, just not very often), then I close them in completely, cover the house with old blankets and comforters, and then put an industrial tarp on top to keep everything dry. The freeze usually lets up in about a week, and then I take all of the covers off, and open one of the two doors. Very rarely do they choose to come out if it is even in the 50's during the day. Been doing this for 10 years, and all are well.

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Hello! I finally have finished her enclosure! Now I have a question during the winter, do you open the night box everyday even when it is really cold like below 40 degrees? I have all the heat panels and mat in her night box. She likes to poop in her box. How do you keep it clean? Did you put anything on the floor of the box? One more question, what do you do for humidity inside the box?

View attachment 282004 View attachment 282005 View attachment 282006
This looks wonderful. What a great job. Add a Hibiscus. I have cypress mulch Maro2Bear said. I scoop poop out every time I see it. For vinyl flaps, I couldn't found them either. I did find clear vinyl car floor mats at Walmart, screwed them to the inside of the door. I cut them into 6 inch wide strips. Otis and plastic door mat.JPG He has already used it with no problem.

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
This looks wonderful. What a great job. Add a Hibiscus. I have cypress mulch Maro2Bear said. I scoop poop out every time I see it. For vinyl flaps, I couldn't found them either. I did find clear vinyl car floor mats at Walmart, screwed them to the inside of the door. I cut them into 6 inch wide strips. View attachment 282098 He has already used it with no problem.

Thank you! Very good idea. Woukd I have to bring in a hibiscus during the winter? Did not know how they di in the winter.