Don't even know what to title...never seen or heard of this...(pic graphic)stuned

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Terese:

Please try to not take thoughtless posts to heart. Most of us understand and sympathize with what you've gone through, and we know you are just as interested in knowing what happened to the baby as the rest of us, if not more so.

I'm not sure if this is true of all rodents, but opossum can collapse their bones so that they can fit through very small holes.

You've made a beautiful habitat, and you thought your animals were going to be safe in there, but now I think you should bring them all in at night and put them back out in the a.m. Just a cardboard box for the night, no need to set up indoor habitats. Once a predator has found a meal in a certain place, he'll keep coming back until there is not more food there.

You can also place a Have-a-heart trap inside the tortoise pen with canned cat food as bait. Hopefully this will catch whatever it is that has harmed your baby.

Leo1986

5 Year Member
Don't even know what to title...never seen or heard of this...(pic graphic)stun

Not sure where you live but fox are bad here and will pull chickens through chicken wire... Raccoons too. Fox can definitely squeeze through almost anything.
These two species are both very smart and resourceful... And will return. I'm so sorry that this happened! I can't imagine how upsetting that must be!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a good observation. Something could have reached in and grabbed the tortoise and because the tortoise was too big to fit through the wire, the head was all that was taken.

Maybe set a Have-a-heart trap OUTSIDE the tort habitat too.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Don't even know what to title...never seen or heard of this...(pic graphic)stun

I am so sorry for what happened to your baby [DISAPPOINTED BUT RELIEVED FACE]