dont know the breed of the tortoise..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rintu dutta

5 Year Member
Hi everyone...m new to the blog,got one little tortoise today,but i dont know what the breed is...guys plz help me out by giving me the details of the breed and its living habbits..m posting a photo of him..

Attachments

• 20121201_142804.jpg
    20121201_142804.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 72

rintu dutta

5 Year Member
Ohk i m attaching a better picture...

Attachments

• 20121201_143015.jpg
    20121201_143015.jpg
    771.4 KB · Views: 58

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
First of all, turtles and tortoises don't really come in "breeds" like dogs and cats do. There are different species and subspecies.

The animal in the image appears to be some species of softshell turtle. Beyond that, I don't know. But it's not a tortoise at all.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Wow, not sure exactly, but I want one. Are you in India? We need a picture with the head out. Perhaps Chitra Indica?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Could you tell us where your from? Did you find this turtle?

arotester

5 Year Member
you have got a Lissemys punctata - Indian Soft-shelled Turtle ,hope you do a research so that you can keep it happy.

by the way where are you from ?

rintu dutta

5 Year Member
Ohk...m from india,yup i found this turtle in our native place,but dnt know what the species is...weather it lives in land or water??? And what does it fed to??

Attachments

• 20121201_142930.jpg
    20121201_142930.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi there, rintu dutta, and welcome to the Forum!

It is a water turtle and will eat live food like worms, bugs, or maybe small bits of chicken. And water turtles can't swallow food unless they are under the water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You should do a search of it and if it is native to your area, you should put it back where you found it, as long as it was on a road or some place like that. Wild, should be left in the wild.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hi, welcome to the forum. What a beautiful turtle. What part of India are you from? My husband grew up in Bengaluru. If you found this turtle in a good place that is safe for him, I would return him to that exact spot so he can can contribute to the propagation of the species. Sometimes wild-caught turtles don't do well in captivity either, unfortunately.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hi and welcome. Your turtle is lovely. I think he might need more water as a softshell :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I agree with Tom. If you found the turtle in the wild, you should return it back to the spot you found him. The reason why this is so important is because I know you love turtles, as we all do here, but if you knew that it would not have that beautiful shell and be healthy as it would in the wild, real LOVE for this little guy should compel you to return him. But, if you decide that you will keep him because you found him on a road or area where he may be killed, then get a tank to put him in. Also, he'll need a filter to clean out his water. They feed on most anything that gets in the water; as such, the water will get dirty quickly. So, that filter is really necessary. He'll also need a basking platform and lighting to get out of the water when he wants to bask in the light (uv). You can PM me if you need further details.

Status
Not open for further replies.