Drats! Father Frost Ends Another Growing Season

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
yesterday was our first frost , the high was 29 , this morning it was 20 degrees . I hope we don't get real warm until spring , the turtles in the ground aren't that bothered by warm winters , the water turtles seem to be much more affected......

Aviary_Photo_131548885801658577.jpg

DSCF3845.jpg

Aviary_Photo_131548890382533932.jpg

Aviary_Photo_131548887424555865.jpg

Aviary_Photo_131548883888127939.jpg

DSCF3851.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It always amazes me to see our @Jacqui 's pictures of her beautiful plants in the tortoises' yards, when they have such a short growing season where she lives. They have rain, cold, frost, wind long into the year, and it all happens again early at the end of the year. I don't know if my soil is poor or what, but my plants are just starting to take off here in the Central Valley when Jacqui is telling of how cold her weather has turned.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It's really a sad time of year..... Look at our weeping banana trees... At least i can harvest these for our Sully.... Then off to the garagre 'til Spring

image.jpeg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
sorry for interpreting your post incorrectly and taking it in a different direction , I would have removed it after I figured it out , but it doesn't look like I can ..... when I read growing season , I assumed our turtles growing season , it's over too ........ I brought all my plants in a week ago as we've been pushing frost temps for a week now ....... there is a house on my way to work that has those banana trees in their front yard , in the ground , I actually never knew what they were before your post , i'm amazed they can survive ...... most of my plants bloom when I bring them in , so it's not a bad thing in my case .........

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
sorry for interpreting your post incorrectly and taking it in a different direction , I would have removed it after I figured it out , but it doesn't look like I can ..... when I read growing season , I assumed our turtles growing season , it's over too ........ I brought all my plants in a week ago as we've been pushing frost temps for a week now ....... there is a house on my way to work that has those banana trees in their front yard , in the ground , I actually never knew what they were before your post , i'm amazed they can survive ...... most of my plants bloom when I bring them in , so it's not a bad thing in my case .........

Hey no problem...I'm sure your turtles stop growing too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So far the lowest temp at night here as been about 48F. Usually by the end of October the nights are frosty. This is a strange weather year for us here in the Central Valley of California.

Your banana trees make me sick!!!!! Sick I tell you, SICK!!!!! Go ahead you big show off. I'm going out right now to get a very current picture of my banana tree... . . .

banana tree 11-12-17 a.jpg banana tree 11-12-17 b.jpg

I got these two 'starts' from a forum member back in Virginia this past spring. This is all they've grown for the whole summer! And now it's going to freeze and they'll die back. I guess I'm not destined to have banana trees.