Dream turtle garden for water & box turtles

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I am enjoying a cup of coffee by the fire and thinking spring. What a perfect time to plan outdoor gardens and outdoor enclosures for my future box turtles.

I found my dream turtle garden to copy and I can put my RES water turtle in the center. I will have to modify the outdoor pond some to avoid any escapes and to have an area to lay eggs & bask. I have a female RES.

I fell in love with this yard and plan to have it as the basic idea and shape but adapting to turtle safe plants etc. I am so excited. I would love any other ideas or sites of great turtle gardens to collect.

Here is the link to my dream garden.
http://www.floragrubb.com/newsletterArchive/index.php?id=19

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
What a great website! Thanks for sharing it as I've never even heard of it before.
I wish I could enjoy a cup of coffee by the fire. I had coffee on my front porch last night but had to come inside as it has been too hot and humid down here in south Florida.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too wish I could think of spring. With this non stop snow we are having, it's impossible:D
What I would do with the pond, is make it ground level and more natural, but that's what I like and what I did with the pond I used to have.
image-43.jpg

Otherwise, I love your dream garden and can't wait too see pics of your finished project.

cdmay said:
What a great website! Thanks for sharing it as I've never even heard of it before.
I wish I could enjoy a cup of coffee by the fire. I had coffee on my front porch last night but had to come inside as it has been too hot and humid down here in south Florida.

Would you like to trade homes for awhile, like say until April:p :D

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I love it! I didn't think of it looking more natural. It would probably be easier to control temperature of the water underground too. Hmm now you have me thinking. Thanks for sharing the picture !!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
cdmay said:

Funny...very funny! We are getting 6 to 12 in. of snow starting tomorrow.
I have a small pond in the middle of my box turtle garden, and this Spring I am thinking of enlarging it and putting in a water turtle. We used to have a 1,000 gal water turtle pond where my box turtle garden is now, and I miss having some water turtles. That's a great site.
Here's another site with some great idea's for a turtle garden. There's many, many pictures on this site, but I think this is the page with the turtle garden. My favorite box turtle site.
http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/backyardturtles/byttour1.htm

This is the small pond I have in the garden now.
2nk6li1.jpg

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
terryo said:
cdmay said:

I have a small pond in the middle of my box turtle garden, and this Spring I am thinking of enlarging it and putting in a water turtle. We used to have a 1,000 gal water turtle pond where my box turtle garden is now, and I miss having some water turtles. That's a great site.
Here's another site with some great idea's for a turtle garden. There's many, many pictures on this site, but I think this is the page with the turtle garden. My favorite box turtle site.

2nk6li1.jpg

Ha! I knew Terry O would chime in. She is the guru on outdoor turtle gardens.
For you folks jealous of our warmth this winter I should add that the skeeters have also been terrible! Who ever heard of mosquitoes in December and January?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I just love your gardens Terryo! Thanks for the website . Your turtle gardens are what inspired in the first place.

Cdmay l don't miss the bugs at all !!! Lol however having turtles I will have a new view on bugs.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What a great thread for this time of year. My small pond (fish only) has sprung a leak in the waterfall, I think. We have tried to repair it, but it keeps reoccurring.
I think I am going to have to revamp the whole thing.
Oh Darn.
Might as well go bigger then maybe I need to add a water turtle too, hmmm...

Terryo, will you expand your pond inside your box turtle enclosure and add the water turtle there? Will you add filtration?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lynnedit, I think you got a good plan there. As long as you have to redo things, well, heck, might as well add more room and new critters too. Are you sure you didn't cause that leak:p. You came up with an expansion plan pretty darn quick:D
Just don't forget pics.:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
lynnedit said:
What a great thread for this time of year. My small pond (fish only) has sprung a leak in the waterfall, I think. We have tried to repair it, but it keeps reoccurring.
I think I am going to have to revamp the whole thing.
Oh Darn.
Might as well go bigger then maybe I need to add a water turtle too, hmmm...

Terryo, will you expand your pond inside your box turtle enclosure and add the water turtle there? Will you add filtration?

I'm thinking of adding a small water fall and making the pond bigger. Water turtles are really dirty and IMO, need a really good filter. Just have to do some research. I do have some friends that don't use any filter, but have lots of plants and it seems to work for them. They just let the hose run in the pond every few days. My son uses no filtration in his pond, has a water fall and lots of plants and it's always clear. Just in the thinking stage now. By tomorrow night the garden will be covered with snow.....my poor turtles.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
terryo said:
cdmay said:

2nk6li1.jpg

I get sick with jealousy every time you post pictures! One day I will copy your style and have my dream garden to retire to after a long day of work! I have all the turtles I need, just lack the proper space to build this type of area (I rent, <sigh>) for another year or two. Absolutely beautiful turtles and garden!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's pretty cool. I like the false bottom idea. Love the boxie all sprawled too. They sure are enjoying it.

TortsNTurtles said:

Wow, those are really cute. I wouldn't know which ones too pic. They are all nice.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
lynnedit said:
What do you all think about this idea for an outside box turtle pond. I guess the size could vary.

This is great I love the details and I look forward to reading it more in the am with a cup of tea . It sure is beautiful winter wonderland right now but spring will be here before I know it. Thanks everyone for the ideas keep them coming :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a bench on the side of my house and I can put my feet up on the ledge of the garden. As I sit there and drink my tea, little by little each head comes out from hiding and they all gather near my feet for a a treat. I wrote a little poem about the garden.

The Turtle Garden
In my yard there is a gate and beyond that gate is a little bit of heaven.
As I walk through the gate, I leave all my troubles behind. I am not afraid or anxious.
I sit on the bench, in the shade, and put my feet up on the small stone ledge.
The fragrant smell of flowers, of all different colors and species, surround me as I sip my tea.
Now I am at peace.
After a while I see a tiny head peaking out from under a hosta plant. From under a moss covered log, I see another little familiar face. Little, by little they all come out to see if I have a treat for them.
This is the Turtle Garden. A happy place. There is peace and beauty here in this garden.
On a hot Summer day I can always find one or two sitting under a plant, or chasing mosquito lava, in the cool waters of the small pond.
Each little inhabitant has a distinct personality and purpose. Some are bold and unafraid. Some are anxious and untrusting. One is possessive of her garden, and does not tolerate strangers here. Some are timid and shy.
But they all have the one thing in common. They are loved. They are home, here in the Turtle Garden.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
terryo said:
I have a bench on the side of my house and I can put my feet up on the ledge of the garden. As I sit there and drink my tea, little by little each head comes out from hiding and they all gather near my feet for a a treat. I wrote a little poem about the garden.

The Turtle Garden
In my yard there is a gate and beyond that gate is a little bit of heaven.
As I walk through the gate, I leave all my troubles behind. I am not afraid or anxious.
I sit on the bench, in the shade, and put my feet up on the small stone ledge.
The fragrant smell of flowers, of all different colors and species, surround me as I sip my tea.
Now I am at peace.
After a while I see a tiny head peaking out from under a hosta plant. From under a moss covered log, I see another little familiar face. Little, by little they all come out to see if I have a treat for them.
This is the Turtle Garden. A happy place. There is peace and beauty here in this garden.
On a hot Summer day I can always find one or two sitting under a plant, or chasing mosquito lava, in the cool waters of the small pond.
Each little inhabitant has a distinct personality and purpose. Some are bold and unafraid. Some are anxious and untrusting. One is possessive of her garden, and does not tolerate strangers here. Some are timid and shy.
But they all have the one thing in common. They are loved. They are home, here in the Turtle Garden.

I absolutely love this poem!!! Thank you so much for sharing it. This is the turtle garden of my dreams.