Dried citrus leaves used as an insulation aide for brumation

Anet

Location (City and/or State)
AJO, AZ
I added dried citrus leaves for added insulation along with dirt for my 3 year old sw tortoise who is going to soon brumate. Today, I noticed he is clacking, Could the leaves be the culprit, or do you think it could be a respiratory issue? This is my first experience with the brumation process. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anet: I'm curious what kind of tortoise a "sw tortoise" is?

I've never used citrus leaves, but I do use other edible leaves as brumation medium. In fact, yesterday I filled the desert tortoise brumation shelter with mulberry leaves then blocked the door for the winter.

I don't know about the clacking. Do you mean he's making noise when he breathes? or that his beak makes a noise when he opens his mouth? At any rate, dried leaves shouldn't cause a respiratory issue.

Tell us a little more about how you have this tortoise set up for the winter, and exactly what species it is and we're more than happy to help you.

Anet

AJO, AZ
Thank you so much for your response. I have a 3 yr old desert tortoise. We live in southwest Arizona. He is getting ready for brumation and yesterday he was making a noise like a clicking sound. It was not a constant clicking.He clicked after his soak and when he was walking up to his brumation area. He walks up a low ladder to get to his spot. This is the first time I heard him do this. He doesn't open his mouth nor is there a discharge from his nose. His eyes look clear also. I thought perhaps the citrus leaves might have caused some kind of reaction. Good to know that someone else uses leaves for added insulation. Thanks again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He might have a little piece of debris stuck up a nostril that clicks as air moves past it????? Hard to say what it is without seeing the tortoise in person.