Dried dandilions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi guys!

Quick query as winter is coming! Can i pick some dandilions, dry them myself, and then feed them to Alfie over winter? It seems a simple solution for when we have frost/snow etc.

Anyone else had sucess in drying weeds and feeding to torts?

Thanks!:)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
What type of tort? I couldn't ever imagine my tort being interested in something dried (I have a redfoot)... Do you have room to plant some pots of dandelions? That's what I would do.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Alfie is a herman. He will eat bits of timothy hay. Yes, i do have room to plant some pots in my outbuilding i just thought that drying would be easier. I dont feed dandilions every day, give some spring mix and other things too so he would still be getting water from other foods (though he drinks when bathed every 2-3 days)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Its certainly worth a try, why not test it before all the dandelions die in the wild? :)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Sounds like you have some plan for the emergency. I remember reading Robyn drying her grape leaves and mixing them w/other fresh food during winter (sorry if I misquoted) so I began stashing all the dried up grape leaves for this winter. Zoomed pallet looks like a bunch of dried hay and varied greens in little chunks and it supposedly contains dandelion greens, too.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I am in the process of collecting the dandilions ready to dry...will report back with progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.