Drilling an aquarium?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Does anyone have experience drilling an aquarium for bulkheads to attach to EXTERNAL plumbing?

I've watched so many videos of GORGEOUS natural looking aquariums on YouTube, and it seems they all are drilled and externally plumbed. That way there's minimal tubing inside the tank. I would like to upgrade Mille (my 3 footed Mississippi mud turtle) from a 40 gallon breeder to a 55 gallon tank, and have a more naturalistic habitat (yes, I fantasize about giving her a glamor tank! ;)). Just so you know, being a mud turtle and missing her right front foot makes Mille a NON-SWIMMER. I MUST keep her water at 3-3.5 inches depth throughout her tank so that she can comfortably stand on the sand and lift her head to the surface of the water.
I've watched YouTube videos about this: you CANNOT drill tempered glass, etc.
But I always feel better discussing things with real people before embarking on something new!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
you CAN do it, but you are better off NOT doing it. you need diamond covered hole saw, you need to make a jig to hold the template/drill in the same spot and you need to pour water on the bit to keep it cool during the whole process as not overheat bit and glass... all the while not applying too much pressure as to crack the glass

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does anyone have experience drilling an aquarium for bulkheads to attach to EXTERNAL plumbing?

I've watched so many videos of GORGEOUS natural looking aquariums on YouTube, and it seems they all are drilled and externally plumbed. That way there's minimal tubing inside the tank. I would like to upgrade Mille (my 3 footed Mississippi mud turtle) from a 40 gallon breeder to a 55 gallon tank, and have a more naturalistic habitat (yes, I fantasize about giving her a glamor tank! ;)). Just so you know, being a mud turtle and missing her right front foot makes Mille a NON-SWIMMER. I MUST keep her water at 3-3.5 inches depth throughout her tank so that she can comfortably stand on the sand and lift her head to the surface of the water.
I've watched YouTube videos about this: you CANNOT drill tempered glass, etc.
But I always feel better discussing things with real people before embarking on something new!
Have a glass shop drill it.

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Hi,

I've had several glass tanks drilled over the years.

My local fish store ordered the non tempered glass tanks and drilled holes for me. They've drilled hundreds of holes for the tanks in their shop displays and made it sound easy.

Hope this suggestion helps as you get it delivered and drilled in the same place.

Phil

Last edited:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi,

I've had several glass tanks drilled over the years.

My local fish store ordered the non tempered glass tanks and drilled holes for me. They've drilled hundreds of holes for the tanks in their shop displays and made it sound easy.

Hope this suggestion helps as you get it delivered and drilled in the same place.

Phil
Great idea! Thanks! ??✨

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you are getting a new tank, go to an Aquarium fish store, not one of the big box stores and you should be able to order it that way.
Just make sure you use a Check Valve so you don't get an empty aquarium and a flooded house.
I work in such a store. They should be able to set you up with everything you would need. More expensive then the big box but then again you can't get them in big box.

Last edited:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If you are getting a new tank, go to an Aquarium fish store, not one of the big box stores and you should be able to order it that way.
Just make sure you use a Check Valve so you don't get an empty aquarium and a flooded house.
I work in such a store. They should be able to set you up with everything you would need. More expensive then the big box but then again you can't get them in big box.
Thanks, Wellington!
Now to find an Aquarium fish store...hmmmm