Drinking ALOT of water..should I be concerned

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I have a question .. Tyrone is drinking a lot the last two days. He crawled into his water dish and sat there for two hours. Today I soaked him for 45 mins. He went back into his enclosure walked around and went and drank more water!

The last few weeks he has gotten picky with his food... He totally snubbed his Mazuri, but went to town on an apple. Snubbed the apple a few days later when i offered it again. so I gave him some peaches. Turned his nose up at his spring mix even. It is like he wants something different every single time he eats. I offer him variety, but if I get an apple or a peach for him he may have it 3 times that week.

When I say snubbed ... He first went over gave it the stink eye bobbed his head at it, put one foot in his dish and flipped it over, the stomped all over it...but never ate it.

His humidity in his enclosure is 70 percent right now. Temp is 95. Could his UVB need to be replaced? It is 7months old.

He is whistling a little when he breathes off and on (like when he sticks his head out toward my hand trying to bite it)

We did just add more Eco earth and nuggets to his enclosure. I mist his enclosure in the morning heavy, and again in the late afternoon.

Do you guys think this is normal? Am I just noticing him in his water more? Am I obsessing too much?

And to think I thought his constant humping was cause for concern!

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have a question .. Tyrone is drinking a lot the last two days. He crawled into his water dish and sat there for two hours. Today I soaked him for 45 mins. He went back into his enclosure walked around and went and drank more water!

The last few weeks he has gotten picky with his food... He totally snubbed his Mazuri, but went to town on an apple. Snubbed the apple a few days later when i offered it again. so I gave him some peaches. Turned his nose up at his spring mix even. It is like he wants something different every single time he eats. I offer him variety, but if I get an apple or a peach for him he may have it 3 times that week.

When I say snubbed ... He first went over gave it the stink eye bobbed his head at it, put one foot in his dish and flipped it over, the stomped all over it...but never ate it.

His humidity in his enclosure is 70 percent right now. Temp is 95. Could his UVB need to be replaced? It is 7months old.

He is whistling a little when he breathes off and on (like when he sticks his head out toward my hand trying to bite it)

We did just add more Eco earth and nuggets to his enclosure. I mist his enclosure in the morning heavy, and again in the late afternoon.

Do you guys think this is normal? Am I just noticing him in his water more? Am I obsessing too much?

And to think I thought his constant humping was cause for concern!

He could be overheated and trying to cool down. If he can't escape the 95 degree temperature in his enclosure it would be the only way to do so. 95 is high. He may be dehydrating.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree. 95 in a basking area. Not for the whole enclosure. Mine is around 78 degrees in general and 90 in the basking spot. You'll find that if you "spoil" him with great food, he will turn his nose up at anything less palatable. Give him the greens again. He'll eat when he's hungry. The hissing is normal whenever they pull their heads into or stick their heads out of the shell. Not for breathing in general. That would be a respiratory illness!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I agree. 95 in a basking area. Not for the whole enclosure. Mine is around 78 degrees in general and 90 in the basking spot. You'll find that if you "spoil" him with great food, he will turn his nose up at anything less palatable. Give him the greens again. He'll eat when he's hungry. The hissing is normal whenever they pull their heads into or stick their heads out of the shell. Not for breathing in general. That would be a respiratory illness!

I have had Tyrone over 5 years ... So I am not new to this.....He is not hissing... It is a whistle more than normal.

95 is the hot spot. Tyrone likes it warm, when it's below 85 he is a slug. I have spoiled him ...well that's an understatement. He eats better than me sometimes! He just seems extra picky.

URI ..is what I am afraid of. I tend to over react when it comes to Tyrone....So that is why I am asking...

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Dawn, the only two instances where I've read that tortoises engulf themselves in water is when they're about to nest or if they aren't feeling good.

Seeing as how Tyrone can't be nesting, he might be sick. I don't know if there are other reasons to up water intake. Hopefully @N2TORTS or someone else more versed in redfoot behavior can help. Does he have clear eyes and nares? Eating and activity slowing down? Maybe he's just trying to tell you in a not-so-subtle way that he wants a bar in his enclosure. Work on that liquor licence asap.. Tyrone is crazy like that.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Lot's of good info within this discussion:)....Like mentioned keep monitoring him and males will soak .....but Alma is spot on with female RF habits and prior nesting rituals...long soaks, no appetite ( and I can't tell you the 100's of stories where "you thought had a male and it's female , or the other way around") . Do you have other torts with this one ? If so I would separate until you can give some time for more evaluation.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Lot's of good info within this discussion:)....Like mentioned keep monitoring him and males will soak .....but Alma is spot on with female RF habits and prior nesting rituals...long soaks, no appetite ( and I can't tell you the 100's of stories where "you thought had a male and it's female , or the other way around") . Do you have other torts with this one ? If so I would separate until you can give some time for more evaluation.

hey N2TORTS! glad to see ya ... He is my only tort and one true love! ...and he is definitely a male.. He flashes his flower every chance he gets...of course he humps anything that doesn't move out of his way first.

He ate his Mazuri this morning 12 pellets dampened with water. He is napping as we speak. I am just worried he is a little off.
I am worried about the whistling sound he is making, it isn't all the time. So I am soaking him daily, and making sure his enclose is staying humid. He is in an enclosed chamber.

I am wondering if it is time to change UVB bulb too. His UVB is right by his water dish.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
You may try backing off the humidity a bit if this seems to continue. Is it a closed chambered enclosure? Under or near a window that may be left open? ex: A draft..... I know within my own herds there is always one...that seems to sleep right next to the door which has the slightest draft. .....thus gets the sniffles/chirp if not kept in check.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Dawn, the only two instances where I've read that tortoises engulf themselves in water is when they're about to nest or if they aren't feeling good.

Seeing as how Tyrone can't be nesting, he might be sick. I don't know if there are other reasons to up water intake. Hopefully @N2TORTS or someone else more versed in redfoot behavior can help. Does he have clear eyes and nares? Eating and activity slowing down? Maybe he's just trying to tell you in a not-so-subtle way that he wants a bar in his enclosure. Work on that liquor licence asap.. Tyrone is crazy like that.

BAWAAHAAA HAAA HAAA

His eyes are clear and no bubbles or discharge out of noise! Darling Hubby thinks he is dehydrated from spilling his love juice all over the place. Here is how that convo went

me: Hunny ...I think Tyrone is sick!

DH: how can you tell? Wait ..don't tell me ...he told you with his mind didn't he?

Me: oh you think you're a funny man don't you? You're and ***!

DH: What? What did I do? ...ok ok what is wrong with him? Because I swear I can't tell a thing.

Me: WHAT? look at him! Oh my poor baby! Quick go to the store and get me some baby food, carrots and maybe sweet potatoes!

DH: ok ..got it carrots and sweet potatoes, anything else? How about chicken?

Me: what? Noo no chicken! Just a couple of carrots and sweet potatoes. chicken!

Hubby leaves goes to the store...he is gone about half hour.

DH: Hey babe, I am home ...what do you want me to do with the carrots and sweet potatoes?

Me: just leave them on the table.. He is soaking in his dish again... I wonder if I have any pumpkin? Maybe he can't poo!

DH: Pumpkin! Oh pumpkin pie sounds good too. You want me to get the dish out?

Me: No I think I will just use the sink.

DH: Sink? How the hell you gonna make pie in the sink?

Me: Pie??!! PIE??!! Who said anything about some pie?

DH: well I thought that's why you wanted all the sweet potatoes and you just mentioned pumpkin! Although I have never heard of carrot pie ..but thought what the hell everything you make is good.

To this I turned with my mouth hanging open and staring at the table where I have three bunches of carrots and about 15 pounds of sweet potatoes.

Me: What the heck!.... Where is the baby food?!

DH: baby food?...what are you talking about woman? You said to get a couple of carrots and sweet potatoes!

....Slapping my forehead ...I try to calmly tell the man ....

Me: I asked for a couple of JARS of baby food carrots and sweet potatoes to soak Tyrone in! I never said I was making PIE! WHO THE HELL MAKES CARROT PIE? HUH??!!! HUH??!!!

Darling Hubby grabs the keys and heads out the door mumbling

DH: BABYFOOD! she didn't say BABYFOOD! .... Damn woman

This is all true and happened yesterday ....

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
You may try backing off the humidity a bit if this seems to continue. Is it a closed chambered enclosure? Under or near a window that may be left open? ex: A draft..... I know within my own herds there is always one...that seems to sleep right next to the door which has the slightest draft. .....thus gets the sniffles/chirp if not kept in check.

Yep it is closed chamber...No window ...but near a closed vent and we have a/c ...

Ok ..I was worried he was dehydrated with his self soaking.

I am just worried with this being the long holiday weekend and the vet not being open, if indeed he needed to go before Tuesday I could try to get him in.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
BAWAAHAAA HAAA HAAA

His eyes are clear and no bubbles or discharge out of noise! Darling Hubby thinks he is dehydrated from spilling his love juice all over the place. Here is how that convo went

me: Hunny ...I think Tyrone is sick!

DH: how can you tell? Wait ..don't tell me ...he told you with his mind didn't he?

Me: oh you think you're a funny man don't you? You're and ***!

DH: What? What did I do? ...ok ok what is wrong with him? Because I swear I can't tell a thing.

Me: WHAT? look at him! Oh my poor baby! Quick go to the store and get me some baby food, carrots and maybe sweet potatoes!

DH: ok ..got it carrots and sweet potatoes, anything else? How about chicken?

Me: what? Noo no chicken! Just a couple of carrots and sweet potatoes. chicken!

Hubby leaves goes to the store...he is gone about half hour.

DH: Hey babe, I am home ...what do you want me to do with the carrots and sweet potatoes?

Me: just leave them on the table.. He is soaking in his dish again... I wonder if I have any pumpkin? Maybe he can't poo!

DH: Pumpkin! Oh pumpkin pie sounds good too. You want me to get the dish out?

Me: No I think I will just use the sink.

DH: Sink? How the hell you gonna make pie in the sink?

Me: Pie??!! PIE??!! Who said anything about some pie?

DH: well I thought that's why you wanted all the sweet potatoes and you just mentioned pumpkin! Although I have never heard of carrot pie ..but thought what the hell everything you make is good.

To this I turned with my mouth hanging open and staring at the table where I have three bunches of carrots and about 15 pounds of sweet potatoes.

Me: What the heck!.... Where is the baby food?!

DH: baby food?...what are you talking about woman? You said to get a couple of carrots and sweet potatoes!

....Slapping my forehead ...I try to calmly tell the man ....

Me: I asked for a couple of JARS of baby food carrots and sweet potatoes to soak Tyrone in! I never said I was making PIE! WHO THE HELL MAKES CARROT PIE? HUH??!!! HUH??!!!

Darling Hubby grabs the keys and heads out the door mumbling

DH: BABYFOOD! she didn't say BABYFOOD! .... Damn woman

This is all true and happened yesterday ....

Omg thank you, Dawndy. I seriously needed a dang good laugh today. Sons and ambulance trips are so not good for the soul but your stories can always balance my day out.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
The convo continued after hubby was gone for an HOUR!

Me: well you took so long. I soaked him without it.

DH: just what do YOU think is wrong with him?

Me: I don't know! But he is drinking a lot and soaking a lot... Maybe he is dehydrated!

DH: dehydrated? What did he do to get dehydrated?

Me: well.... Um.....Hell I don't know!

DH: ha! I know!

Me: what? ... What is wrong? Did you see something?

DH: who could miss it?! he humps anything that don't move! Hell, he even humps a pile of dirt for gods sake! He is probably dehydrated from spilling his love juice all over the damn place!

I gasp in shock at the vulgarity of what he is saying!

Me: you are a PIG ..just leave ... Get out ...go .. Go fishing ... You're sick!

And he did go ... They caught 20 catfish ..one was over 8lbs!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well asides from the “whistle/chirp which does sound like a slight RI…you will see males also have penis prolapse – an eversion of the penis , generally 3 types occur that visually can be seen…An adult male who is seen soaking for days on end , you may want to look into it . If not corrected or you see something unusual, you may want him to see a vet. Of course asides from the fact it has been hot out (at least in So Cal) so simple hydration may be the key as well …..as other have mentioned in thread .

I didn't know Redfoots eat catfish? ......:eek::oops::p;)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
PFara! Big hugs to you and your son! I hope everything turns out ok. Sending healing thoughts!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Well asides from the “whistle/chirp which does sound like a slight RI…you will see males also have penis prolapse – an eversion of the penis , generally 3 types occur that visually can be seen…An adult male who is seen soaking for days on end , you may want to look into it . If not corrected or you see something unusual, you may want him to see a vet. Of course asides from the fact it has been hot out (at least in So Cal) so simple hydration may be the key as well …..as other have mentioned in thread .

I didn't know Redfoots eat catfish? ......:eek::oops::p;)

It has been Hot here in northeast Ohio as well. ... Well his tail and vent look normal...I will keep checking. I can sometimes be over reactive (hey at least I CAN admit to it) I am just keeping a close eye on him and if the whistle gets any worse or he acts totally abnormal I will get to the vet.

Thanks N2TORTS, I consider you an expert and always appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

P.S. I don't eat catfish either

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Ok .. I have figured out why Tyrone is drinking water. After much sneaky observation...he isn't drinking water! He is chasing the floating wood chips floating in his water. He grabs them crunches them and spits them out, only to chase them. Of course when he bites at them they either sink and pop back up or float away. ..silly silly tort!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Wow.. I think Tyrone is hinting that he needs more enrichment in his life. Bobbing for wood chips is pretty lame :p