Drinking water

babytortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I know that cold water is bad for sulcatas with regard to soaking babies. But what about the water left inside the enclosure for drinking. Does this water also need to be warmed or is it ok that it is cool or room temp? I notice my lil one walking right through the water bowl (it's level with the substrate) and sometimes sits in it for a few seconds before stepping out. Not really long enough to consider it soaking itself but thought I'd ask just to be sure.

And since he walks thru it there is always coco fiber in the water. I assume that's still safe for drinking?

Thanks!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I keep my water at cage temp .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When mine was little, I would use barely warm water. That way he didn't try to soak in cold. If you dampen the coconut coir and pat it down pretty good, it won't stick to your baby as much. Also try putting some flat rocks or large stones around the dish for him to step onto first, before entering the water, all this will help keep water clean. I would empty and refill if it gets a lot of coir in it.

babytortie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the responses! Glad I don't have to keep drinking water warm...one less thing to worry about

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the water is in your enclosure, and your enclosure is kept properly warm, then the water should be warm and not room temp.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was thinking along the lines as Tom. In my enclosed habitat for our young Sulcata, the sunken terra cotta water dish with drinking/soaking water takes on the ambient temp of the enclosure. The water always feels warm, never cool, let alone cold. So I'd wonder about the temps of your torts enclosure. Is it warm enough?

Animalgirl889

Michigan
I need help !! , I changed my tortoise drinking water today , I put warm drinking water , not even a hour later the drinking water , is cold , it is okay for tortoise to drink cold water ? And what do I do about the water temperature ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I need help !! , I changed my tortoise drinking water today , I put warm drinking water , not even a hour later the drinking water , is cold , it is okay for tortoise to drink cold water ? And what do I do about the water temperature ?

Yes, tortoises drink cold/cool warm water. Your water trmp in the enclosure should take on the ambient temp of the enclosure. You should start your own thread, but WELCOMe to the forum.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Mark. Start your own thread, and tell us what species and size tortoise you are talking about, as well as how it is housed and heated. Welcome!