Dry cracked skin and weird looking shell

MemeTrash

Location (City and/or State)
United States
So my parents bought two turtles maybe about 6-10 years ago who had babies. They are California desert tortoises and they live in our social backyard. I noticed that one of the babies has a really dry neck, and his shell looks kind of white-ish, which only he has. What should I do? I'm worried he may get an infection/have an infection.20180419_153337.jpg20180420_155636.jpg20180420_154714.jpg

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada

MemeTrash

United States
Is the beak broken too?

If there are any open wounds please clean and disinfect!
No the beak is fine, just the neck has a wound. I've used some antibiotic ointment, and hopefully this should fix the problem. I just wanted to make sure that I treat him correctly. Thanks for the response.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Could you post few more close up pics of his face/neck, front and side? Give him ½ hr long warm bath (water temp 95-105F) and take pics right after?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
So my parents bought two turtles maybe about 6-10 years ago who had babies. They are California desert tortoises and they live in our social backyard. I noticed that one of the babies has a really dry neck, and his shell looks kind of white-ish, which only he has. What should I do? I'm worried he may get an infection/have an infection.View attachment 236530View attachment 236531View attachment 236532

Can’t really tell from the pictures, wish there were more focused and more views but he looks like he’s been “roughed-up” by something or somebody. I would give him a nice long warm bath, clean off all dirt and debris than closely examine the whole body top, bottom, sides of the shell and every single soft part. And take well focused pictures. Dry him off with soft clean cotton cloth (none of those microfibers, cotton is like a dish old fashion dish towel) and put some antibiotic ointment on the open areas. Take a good look at his eyes, nostrils and mouth (inside and out), also look at his vent (that’s in the underside of his tail). Look for redness, swelling, open areas. Do you exam in good light. I usually bring a portable led lamp to look at mine after the bath. The torts’ body is designed to camouflage, hide from predators, and not make any signs of weakness/illness obvious to their territorial rivals. If the tortoise is active and eating, behaving normal, than someone on this forum will give you step by step advise on how to help your tort heal his bumps and scratches.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What part of the USA are you and these tortoises? What's the weather like?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Peeling skin is normal, however, your tortoise's peeling seems excessive to me. He looks very dry. I also ask, "Do you soak them?" And is water provided so they can get drinks on their own?

It almost looks like he got into some sort of toxic something or other. Did anyone spray your backyard with herbicides/pesticides?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So my parents bought two turtles maybe about 6-10 years ago who had babies. They are California desert tortoises and they live in our social backyard. I noticed that one of the babies has a really dry neck, and his shell looks kind of white-ish, which only he has. What should I do? I'm worried he may get an infection/have an infection.View attachment 236530View attachment 236531View attachment 236532

What does "social backyard" mean? Where were they purchased at/from? The white you are referring to is just a bit of dry shell, not a problem by itself. Needs more water/soaking opportunity. Where about in the us are you...I don't want your address :) but just a general area....

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Peeling skin is normal, however, your tortoise's peeling seems excessive to me. He looks very dry. I also ask, "Do you soak them?" And is water provided so they can get drinks on their own?

It almost looks like he got into some sort of toxic something or other. Did anyone spray your backyard with herbicides/pesticides?
I agree and I would like to see the other tortoises.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Would like to know how this is going? Please? You came to a good place for help!