Dry tree leaves and twigs

Myroli

Does anyone else's sulcata eat dry tree leaves and twigs? I've noticed mine does, not all the time and not a lot at one time, but still, I find it weird because I didn't think they ate that kind of thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They eat anything and everything. Someone on here once told us his sulcata ate a sock.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
My dog ate a sock once. I had the pleasure of watching my girlfriend pull it out of her behind. I'm not easily grossed out, but that did the job.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
dried leaves are high in carbohydrates

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I didnt think tree leaves were supposed to be good for them anyways. I guess it depends on the tree, but generally speaking I thought most weren't edible.

What kind of tree leaves are we talking?

Myroli

I have no idea, just a tree in my front yard, and he only takes a couple bites from one or two

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A hungry sulcata will eat anything. Mine always ate dead leaves in the fall. Never did any harm, but it does depend on the species of tree. You should ID yours.

Why is your tortoise in the front yard? Is that where your sunning enclosure is? I'd be nervous about theft, but I suppose that risk will vary tremendously with the area.

Myroli

He's in the front yard because I haven't had the chance to build him an outside enclosure and I have dogs so I don't want him eating a piece of poop if I miss it. He's only out there for an hour or two and only with me right there with him, I don't go in even for a second while he's there

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does anyone else's sulcata eat dry tree leaves and twigs? I've noticed mine does, not all the time and not a lot at one time, but still, I find it weird because I didn't think they ate that kind of thing.

Leaves, twigs, little pebbles, dead bugs, bird poo....etc...all have their place in the mind and desires of a tortoise....Just be sure that the tort is well hydrated and that will lessen impaction issues from some of their desires...